¿Qué protección social ofrecería un pilar de “cuentas nocionales” en Uruguay?
It is usually accepted that a pure NDC scheme is not adequate to protect individuals against the risk of poverty in old age, because it does not incorporate any redistribution of the system`s revenue. However, we show that insufficient coverage and weak social protection can be more seriuos issues in a DB that in an NDC scheme when individuals have short histories of contribution. Using work histories records from Uruguay, we compute the contribution and labor income patterns and simulate pension rights of the cohort born in 1995, assuming that these patterns remain unchanged. We characterize the distribution of pension rights and calculate the pension cost under both systems, ie under the current DB + CC and under a simulated NDC + CC system. We consider a pure NDC system and also one supplemented with minimum pensions and one supplemented with government contributions. We found that an NDC sheme would provide better social protection than a DB system, even without minimum pensions. That is, an improvement in the actuarial fairness would lead to an improvement in the welfare of low-income workers.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo|
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://cienciassociales.edu.uy/departamentodeeconomia/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rofman, Rafael & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Herrera, German, 2008. "Reforming the pension reforms : the recent initiatives and actions on pensions in Argentina and Chile," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 90346, The World Bank.
- Michele Boldrin & Sergi Jimenez-Martin & Franco Peracchi, 1999.
"Social Security and Retirement in Spain,"
NBER Chapters,in: Social Security and Retirement around the World, pages 305-353
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peracchi, Franco & Jiménez-Martín, Sergi & Boldrin, Michele, 1997. "Social security and retirement in Spain," UC3M Working papers. Economics 6043, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Michele Boldrin & Sergi Jimenez-Martni & Franco Peracchi, 1997. "Social Security and Retirement in Spain," NBER Working Papers 6136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Pino & Solange Berstein & Guillermo Larraín, 2006. "Chilean Pension Reform: Coverage Facts and Policy Alternatives," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 227-279, January.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Alfonso R. Sánchez Martín, 2007. "An evaluation of the life cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 923-950.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Alfonso R. Sánchez-Martin, 2003. "An evaluation of the life-cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior," Working Papers 108, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Alfonso R. Sánchez, 2003. "An evaluation of the life-cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior," Economics Working Papers 715, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2006.
- Alvaro Forteza & Ignacio Apella & Eduardo Fajnzylber & Carlos Grushka & Ianina Rossi & Graciela Sanroman, 2009. "Work Histories and Pension Entitlements in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay," Working Papers 32, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Sep 2009.
- Forteza, Alvaro & Apella, Ignacio & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Grushka, Carlos & Rossi, Ianina & Sanroman, Graciela, 2009. "Work histories and pension entitlements in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 52446, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:0210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Doneschi)or (Héctor Pastori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.