Age-dependent Taxation, Retirement Behavior, and Work Hours Over the Life Cycle
We use a computable overlapping generations model economy, which matches the stylized facts con- cerning retirement behavior, to analyze the consequences of three reforms designed to reduce tax rates on the labor supply of older workers. We nd that these reforms increase the participation rates of the elderly and show that the gains, in terms of old age work hours, are non-trivial. However, we also nd that the total labor supply response to the reforms is not so much an increase in total lifetime hours as it is a reallocation of hours over the life cycle. Finally, we show that these reforms, designed to increase the length of the working life of individuals, may not increase output.
|Date of creation:||25 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus Universitario de Cartuja|
Web page: http://www.ugr.es/local/teoriahe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1974. "Social Security, Induced Retirement, and Aggregate Capital Accumulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(5), pages 905-26, Sept./Oct.
- Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor & Orszag, Mike, 2003. "The Early Retirement Burden: Assessing the Costs of the Continued Prevalence of Early Retirement in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 816, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Angel Melguizo & Manuel Balmaseda & David Taguas, 2005.
"Las reformas necesarias en el sistema de pensiones contributivas en Espana,"
0505, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Balmaseda, Manuel & Melguizo, Angel & Taguas, David, 2006.
"Las reformas necesarias en el sistema de pensiones contributivas en España
[Reforming the Spanish contributory pension system]," MPRA Paper 19574, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Mar 2006.
- Balmaseda, Manuel & Melguizo, Angel & Taguas, David, 2006. "Las reformas necesarias en el sistema de pensiones contributivas en España
- MaCurdy, Thomas E, 1981. "An Empirical Model of Labor Supply in a Life-Cycle Setting," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1059-85, December.
- Beatrice Scheubel & Daniel Schunk & Joachim Winter, 2009. "Don't Raise the Retirement Age! An Experiment on Opposition to Pension Reforms and East-West Differences in Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 2752, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Jonathan A. Parker, 2002.
"Consumption Over the Life Cycle,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 47-89, January.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Jonathan A. Parker, 1999. "Consumption Over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 7271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Parker, Jonathan A, 2000. "Consumption Over the Life-Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gopi Shah Goda & John Shoven & Sita Slavov, 2009.
"A Tax On Work For The Elderly: Medicare As A Secondary Payer,"
08-60, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Gopi Shah Goda & John B. Shoven & Sita Nataraj Slavov, 2007. "A Tax on Work for the Elderly: Medicare as a Secondary Payer," NBER Working Papers 13383, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph Altonji, 1984.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Labor Supply: Evidence from Micro Data,"
562, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Altonji, Joseph G, 1986. "Intertemporal Substitution in Labor Supply: Evidence from Micro Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages S176-S215, June.
- John Laitner & Dan Silverman, 2005.
"Estimating Life-Cycle Parameters from Consumption Behavior at Retirement,"
NBER Working Papers
11163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Laitner & Dan Silverman, 2005. "Estimating Life—Cycle Parameters from Consumption Behavior at Retirement”," Working Papers wp099, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Gervais, Martin, 2009.
"On the optimality of age-dependent taxes and the progressive U.S. tax system,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
0905, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Gervais, Martin, 2012. "On the optimality of age-dependent taxes and the progressive U.S. tax system," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 682-691.
- Imrohoroglu, Ayse & Imrohoroglu, Selahattin & Joines, Douglas H, 1995. "A Life Cycle Analysis of Social Security," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 83-114, June.
- Richard Rogerson & Johanna Wallenius, 2009. "Retirement in a Life Cycle Model of Labor Supply with Home Production," Working Papers wp205, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Sergi Jiménez-Mart�n & Alfonso R. Sánchez Mart�n, 2007.
"An evaluation of the life cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 923-950.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Alfonso R. Sánchez, 2003. "An evaluation of the life-cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior," Economics Working Papers 715, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2006.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Alfonso R. Sánchez-Martin, 2003. "An evaluation of the life-cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior," Working Papers 108, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- repec:oup:restud:v:78:y:2011:i:4:p:1490-1518 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michele Boldrin & José Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Javier Díaz Giménez, 2010. "Eppur si Muove! Spain: Growing without a Model," Working Papers 2010-12, FEDEA.
- Edward C. Prescott & Richard Rogerson & Johanna Wallenius, 2009.
"Lifetime Aggregate Labor Supply with Endogenous Workweek Length,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(1), pages 23-36, January.
- Edward C. Prescott & Richard Rogerson & Johanna Wallenius, 2007. "Lifetime aggregate labor supply with endogenous workweek length," Staff Report 400, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Michele Boldrin & Sergi Jimenez-Martin & Franco Peracchi, 1999.
"Social Security and Retirement in Spain,"
in: Social Security and Retirement around the World, pages 305-353
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laitner, John & Silverman, Dan, 2012. "Consumption, retirement and social security: Evaluating the efficiency of reform that encourages longer careers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(7-8), pages 615-634.
- Alfonso R Sánchez-Martín, 2008.
"Endogenous Retirement and Public Pension System Reform in Spain,"
08.06, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Sánchez Martín, Alfonso R., 2010. "Endogenous retirement and public pension system reform in Spain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 336-349, January.
- Sánchez Martín, Alfonso R., 2001. "Endogenous retirement and public pension system reform in Spain," UC3M Working papers. Economics we013503, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Julian Diaz-Saavedra, 2009.
"Delaying Retirement in Spain,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(1), pages 147-167, January.
- Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Julian Diaz-Saavedra, 2008. "Code and data files for "Delaying Retirement in Spain"," Computer Codes 06-8, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Raquel Vegas & Isabel Argimón & Marta Botella & Clara I. González, 2009. "Retirement behaviour and retirement incentives in Spain," Working Papers 0913, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gra:wpaper:13/09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angel Solano Garcia.)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.