Early Retirement, Social Security, and Output Gap
We analyze two social security reforms aimed at increasing working lifetimes. The rst reform elim- inates early retirement provisions, while the second increases both the age of early eligibility and the normal retirement age. We nd that although both reforms increase the participation rates of older workers, the elimination of early retirement provisions reduces future social security imbalances if ben- e ts taken early are not reduced actuarially. Additionally, we nd that both reforms increase aggregate hours and output, although eciency gains derived from the elimination of the early retirement scheme are distant from previous estimates since labor supply could be less responsive. Finally, we also nd that the output gap brought about by the early retirement scheme may decrease in coming decades.
|Date of creation:||09 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Campus Universitario de Cartuja|
Web page: http://www.ugr.es/local/teoriahe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Paola Profeta, 2007.
"The Redistributive Design of Social Security Systems,"
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Paola Profeta, 2007. "The Redistributive Design of Social Security Systems," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(520), pages 686-712, 04.
- Gary Burtless & Joseph F. Quinn, 2002.
"Is Working Longer the Answer for an Aging Workforce?,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
550, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gary Burtless & Joseph F. Quinn, 2002. "Is Working Longer the Answer for an Aging Workforce?," Issues in Brief ib2002-11, Center for Retirement Research, revised Dec 2002.
- Michele Boldrin & Sergi Jimenez-Martni & Franco Peracchi, 1997.
"Social Security and Retirement in Spain,"
NBER Working Papers
6136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Ignacio García & Alfonso R. Sánchez Martín, 2008.
"Social security and the search behaviour of workers approaching retirement,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2008/10, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- J. Ignacio García Pérez & Alfonso R Sánchez Martín, 2008. "Social Security and the search behaviour of workers approaching retirement," Working Papers 08.03, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2003.
"The Macroeconomics of Early Retirement,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3896, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, . "The Macroeconomics of Early Retirement," Working Papers 2003-05, FEDEA.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, . "The Macroeconomic of Early Retirement," Working Papers 194, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Jung, Juergen & Tran, Chung, 2009.
"Macroeconomic implications of early retirement in the public sector: The case of Brazil,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 777-797, April.
- Gerhard Glomm & Juergen Jung & Chung Tran, 2006. "Macroeconomic Implications of Early Retirement in the Public Sector: The Case of Brazil," Caepr Working Papers 2006-008, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1974. "Social Security, Induced Retirement, and Aggregate Capital Accumulation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(5), pages 905-26, Sept./Oct.
- Julian Diaz Saavedra, 2013. "Age-dependent Taxation, Retirement Behavior, and Work Hours Over the Life Cycle," ThE Papers 13/09, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Sánchez Martín, Alfonso R., 2001.
"Endogenous retirement and public pension system reform in Spain,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we013503, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Sánchez Martín, Alfonso R., 2010. "Endogenous retirement and public pension system reform in Spain," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 336-349, January.
- Alfonso R Sánchez-Martín, 2008. "Endogenous Retirement and Public Pension System Reform in Spain," Working Papers 08.06, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Michele Boldrin & Juan J. Dolado & Juan F. Jimeno & Franco Peracchi, 1999. "The future of pensions in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 14(29), pages 287-320, October.
- Balmaseda, Manuel & Melguizo, Angel & Taguas, David, 2006.
"Las reformas necesarias en el sistema de pensiones contributivas en España
[Reforming the Spanish contributory pension system]," MPRA Paper 19574, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Mar 2006.
- Angel Melguizo & Manuel Balmaseda & David Taguas, 2005. "Las reformas necesarias en el sistema de pensiones contributivas en Espana," Working Papers 0505, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Conde-Ruiz, J.I. & Galasso, V., 2000.
Economics Working Papers
eco2000/24, European University Institute.
- Raquel Vegas & Isabel Argimón & Marta Botella & Clara I. González, 2009. "Retirement behaviour and retirement incentives in Spain," Working Papers 0913, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Michele Boldrin & José Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Javier Díaz Giménez, 2010. "Eppur si Muove! Spain: Growing without a Model," Working Papers 2010-12, FEDEA.
- Hutchens, Robert, 1999. "Social Security Benefits and Employer Behavior: Evaluating Social Security Early Retirement Benefits as a Form of Unemployment Insurance," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 659-78, August.
- Imrohoroglu, Ayse & Imrohoroglu, Selahattin & Joines, Douglas H, 1995. "A Life Cycle Analysis of Social Security," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 6(1), pages 83-114, June.
- Conde-Ruiz, J. Ignacio & Gonzalez, Clara I., 2012. "Spain 2011 Pension Reform," Working Papers 2012-03, FEDEA.
- Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Julian Diaz-Saavedra, 2009.
"Delaying Retirement in Spain,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(1), pages 147-167, January.
- Javier Diaz-Gimenez & Julian Diaz-Saavedra, 2008. "Code and data files for "Delaying Retirement in Spain"," Computer Codes 06-8, Review of Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gra:wpaper:14/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angel Solano Garcia.)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.