Measuring Productivity in the System of National Accounts
The paper reviews some of the measurement problems that are associated with measuring sectoral Total Factor Productivity growth rates. The paper notes that the production accounts in the present System of National Accounts (SNA) need to be extended somewhat in order to be suitable as a data base for measuring sectoral productivity growth rates. In particular, the treatment of exports, imports and indirect taxes is not completely adequate for productivity measurement purposes in the present SNA. Finally, the paper considers some of the problems that are associated with the measurement of banking sector outputs and the System of National Accounts FISIM (Financial Intermediation Services Indirectly Measured) imputations.
|Date of creation:||16 Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:||16 Nov 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donal J. Donovan, 1978. "Modeling the Demand for Liquid Assets: An Application to Canada (Etablissement d'un modÃ¨le de demande d'actifs liquides: application au Canada) (ConstrucciÃ³n de un modelo de demanda de activos lÃqu," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(4), pages 676-704, December.
- Jorgenson, Dale W & Fraumeni, Barbara M, 1992. " Investment in Education and U.S. Economic Growth," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S51-70, Supplemen.
- Rymes, T K, 1983. "More on the Measurement of Total Factor Productivity," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 29(3), pages 297-316, September.
- Dennis J. Fixler & Kimberly D. Zieschang, 1992. "User Costs, Shadow Prices, and the Real Output of Banks," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 219-243 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwin Dean & Michael Harper, 2001. "The BLS Productivity Measurement Program," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 55-84 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Ann Marie Smith, 1994. "Productivity Measurement for a Distribution Firm," NBER Working Papers 4812, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fixler, Dennis & Zieschang, Kimberly D, 1991. "Measuring the Nominal Value of Financial Services in the National Income Accounts," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(1), pages 53-68, January.
- Diewert, W E, 1974. "Intertemporal Consumer Theory and the Demand for Durables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 497-516, May.
- Nancy D. Ruggles & Richard Ruggles, 1970. "The Design of Economic Accounts," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number rugg70-1.
- Carol Corrado & John Haltiwanger & Dan Sichel, 2005. "Measuring Capital in the New Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number corr05-1.
- Nancy D. Ruggles & Richard Ruggles, 1970. "Introduction to "The Design of Economic Accounts"," NBER Chapters, in: The Design of Economic Accounts, pages 1-7 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis Fixler, 2009. "Incorporating Financial Services in a Consumer Price Index," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 239-266 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W, 1970. "U.S. Real Product and Real Factor Input, 1929-1967," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 16(1), pages 19-50, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:bricol:diewert-07-11-16-12-39-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.