Alternative User Costs, Rates of Return and TFP Growth Rates for the US Nonfinancial Corporate and Noncorporate Business Sectors: 1960-2014
Using the new Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) Integrated Macroeconomic Accounts as well as other BEA data, we construct a set of productivity accounts for two key sectors of the US economy: the Corporate Nonfinancial Sector (Sector 1) and the Noncorporate Nonfinancial Sector (Sector 2). Calculating user costs of capital based on, alternatively, ex post and predicted asset price inflation rates, we provide alternative estimates for capital services and Total Factor Productivity growth for the two sectors. Rates of return on assets employed are also reported for both sectors. Finally, the paper compares rates of return on assets employed and TFP growth rates when the land and inventory components are withdrawn from the asset base.
|Date of creation:||30 Jun 2016|
|Date of revision:||30 Jun 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewart, W Erwin & Morrison, Catherine J, 1986.
"Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 659-679, September.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Catherine J. Morrison, 1985. "Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade," NBER Working Papers 1564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1997.
"Measuring efficiency at U.S. banks: Accounting for heterogeneity is important,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 230-242, April.
- Loretta J. Mester, 1996. "Measuring efficiency at U.S. banks: accounting for heterogeneity is important," Working Papers 96-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Edwin Dean & Michael Harper, 2001. "The BLS Productivity Measurement Program," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 55-84 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- D. W. Jorgenson & Z. Griliches, 1967. "The Explanation of Productivity Change," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 249-283.
- Diewert, W E, 1992. "The Measurement of Productivity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 163-198, July.
- Dale W. Jorgenson, 1995. "Productivity, Volume 1: Postwar US Economic Growth," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100495.
- Diewert W.Erwin, 2010. "User Costs versus Waiting Services and Depreciation in a Model of Production," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 230(6), pages 759-771, December.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2011.
"The Value Of Risk: Measuring The Service Output Of U.S. Commercial Banks,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 226-245, 01.
- Basu, Susanto & Inklaar, Robert & Wang, J. Christina, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-102, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," NBER Working Papers 14615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008. "The value of risk: measuring the service output of U. S. commercial banks," Working Papers 08-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Ann Marie Smith, 1994. "Productivity Measurement for a Distribution Firm," NBER Working Papers 4812, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W E, 1974. "Intertemporal Consumer Theory and the Demand for Durables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 497-516, May.
- Antonio Colangelo & Robert Inklaar, 2012. "Bank Output Measurement In The Euro Area: A Modified Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(1), pages 142-165, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:pmicro:erwin_diewert-2016-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.