Index Number Concepts, Measures and Decompositions of Productivity Growth
This paper explores the definitions and properties of total factor productivity growth (TFPG) indexes, focusing especially on the Paasche, Laspeyres, Fisher, Törnqvist, and implicit Törnqvist ones. These indexes can be evaluated from observable price and quantity data, and certain of these are shown to be measures of TFPG concepts and theoretical indexes that have been proposed in the literature. The mathematical relationships between these and quantity aggregates, financial measures, and price and quantity indexes are explored. Decompositions of the productivity growth indexes are also given. The paper concludes with a brief overview of some limitations on our analysis. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Erwin Diewert & Ann Marie Smith, 1994. "Productivity Measurement for a Distribution Firm," NBER Working Papers 4812, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein, 1999.
"Total factor productivity growth in the Canadian life insurance industry: 1979-1989,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 500-517, April.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein, 1998. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in the Canadian Life Insurance Industry: 1979-1989," NBER Working Papers 6475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burgess, David F, 1974. "A Cost Minimization Approach to Import Demand Equations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(2), pages 225-34, May.
- Kholi, U. & Fox, K., 1996.
"GDP Growth, Terms-of-Trade Effects and Total Factor Productivity,"
96/28, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Kevin Fox & Ulrich Kohli, 1998. "GDP growth, terms-of-trade effects, and total factor productivity," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 87-110.
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1988. "Quasi-Fixed Inputs in U.S. and Japanese Manufacturing: A Generalized Leontief Restricted Cost Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 275-87, May.
- Michael C. Wolfson, 1999. "New goods and the mesaurement of real economic growth," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 447-470, April.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1998. "A Vision of the Growth Process," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1992. "Quadratic Spline Models for Producer's Supply and Demand Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(3), pages 705-22, August.
- Morrison, Catherine J., 1986.
"Productivity measurement with non-static expectations and varying capacity utilization : An integrated approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 51-74.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1985. "Productivity Measurement with Nonstatic Expectations and Varying Capacity Utilization: An Integrated Approach," NBER Working Papers 1561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W. Erwin, 1998. "High Inflation, Seasonal Commodities, And Annual Index Numbers," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(04), pages 456-471, December.
- Takanobu Nakajima & Masao Nakamura & Kanji Yoshioka, 1998. "An Index Number Method for Estimating Scale Economies and Technical Processes Using Time-series of Cross-section Data: Sources of Total Factor Productivity Growth for Japanese Manufacturing, 1964–1988," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(3), pages 310-334, 09.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichhorn, W, 1976. "Fisher's Tests Revisited," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 247-56, March.
- Jorgenson, Dale W & Nishimizu, Mieko, 1978. "U.S. and Japanese Economic Growth, 1952-1974: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 707-26, December.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1998. "Index Number Issues in the Consumer Price Index," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 47-58, Winter.
- Diewert, W Erwin, 1978. "Superlative Index Numbers and Consistency in Aggregation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 883-900, July.
- Jeffrey BERNSTEIN, 1998. "Factor Intensities, Rates of Return, and International R&D Spillovers: The Case of Canadian and U.S. Industries," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 49-50, pages 541-564.
- Surendra Gera & Wulong Wu & Frank C. Lee, 1999. "Information technology and productivity growth: an empirical analysis for Canada and the United States," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 384-407, April.
- Diewert, W. Erwin, 1999. "Index Number Approaches To Seasonal Adjustment," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 48-68, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:19:y:2003:i:2:p:127-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.