Total factor productivity growth in the Canadian life insurance industry: 1979-1989
This is the first paper to directly measure and decompose total factor productivity growth (TFPG) for the Canadian life insurance industry. TFPG averaged 1.0 percent per year over the period from 1979 to 1989, thereby outperforming many manufacturing industries. The rate of TFPG was 0.2 percent in the first half of the 1980's due to the depressed economy and 1.9 percent in the last half of the decade. Technological change was the major element contributing to TFPG. There was a large residual element in the decomposition of TFPG, reflecting possible adjustment costs associated with new information processing technologies.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 32 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://economics.ca/en/membership.php Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daly, Michael J. & Someshwar Rao, P. & Geehan, Randall, 1985. "Productivity, scale economies and technical progress in the Canadian life insurance industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 345-361, September.
- Halpern, Paul J. & Mathewson, G. Frank, 1975. "Economies of scale in financial institutions : A general model applied to insurance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-220, April.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein, 1992.
"Information Spillovers, Margins, Scale and Scope: With an Application to Canadian Life Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
3979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I, 1992. " Information Spillovers, Margins, Scale and Scope: With an Application to Canadian Life Insurance," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S95-105, Supplemen.
- David B. Humphrey, 1991. "Productivity in banking and effects from deregulation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Mar, pages 16-28.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cje:issued:v:32:y:1999:i:2:p:500-517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.