Total Factor Productivity Growth in the Canadian Life Insurance Industry: 1979-1989
This is the first paper to directly measure and decompose total factor productivity growth (TFPG) for the Canadian life insurance industry. TFPG averaged 1.0 percent per year over the period from 1979 to 1989, thereby outperforming many manufacturing industries. The rate of TFPG was 0.2 percent in the first half of the 1980's due to the depressed economy and 1.9 percent in the last half of the decade. Technological change was the major element contributing to TFPG. There was a large residual element in the decomposition of TFPG, reflecting possible adjustment costs associated with new information processing technologies.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. 32 (1999): 500-517.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halpern, Paul J. & Mathewson, G. Frank, 1975. "Economies of scale in financial institutions : A general model applied to insurance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-220, April.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein, 1992.
"Information Spillovers, Margins, Scale and Scope: With an Application to Canadian Life Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
3979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I, 1992. " Information Spillovers, Margins, Scale and Scope: With an Application to Canadian Life Insurance," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S95-105, Supplemen.
- Daly, Michael J. & Someshwar Rao, P. & Geehan, Randall, 1985. "Productivity, scale economies and technical progress in the Canadian life insurance industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 345-361, September.
- David B. Humphrey, 1991. "Productivity in banking and effects from deregulation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Mar, pages 16-28.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.