Productivity Measurement with Nonstatic Expectations and Varying Capacity Utilization: An Integrated Approach
Typically measures of multifactor productivity growth have been based on a production and optimization framework that assumes all inputs are instantaneously adjustable, thus ignoring the important impacts of short run fixity of certain inputs. This paper focuses on the distinction between short and long run production behavior represented by economic capacity utilization indexes, and on the adjustment of observed productivity measures for the effects of short run fixity characterized by these indexes. A dynamic optimization model based on adjustment costs for quasi-fixed inputs is developed to calculate capacity utilization adjustments for productivity growth measures. The resulting framework is then used to identify empirically the effects of capacity utilization, nonstatic expectations,nonconstant returns to scale and adjustment costs for both capital and labor on productivity growth in the U.S. manufacturing sector, 1947-1979.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1985|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Morrison, Catherine J. "Productivity Measurement with Nonstatic Expectations and Varying Capacity Utilization: An Integrated Approach," Journal of Econometrics, Vol. 33, No. 1/2. Oct/Nov, 1986.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Catherine J, 1985.
"On the Economic Interpretation and Measurement of Optimal Capacity Utilization with Anticipatory Expectations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 295-310, April.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1985. "On the Economic Interpretation and Measurement of Optimal Capacity Utilization with Anticipatory Expectations," NBER Working Papers 1536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1978. "Applications of Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.), Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 3 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-68, August.
- Baily, Martin Neil, 1981. "The Productivity Growth Slowdown and Capital Accumulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 326-31, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1561. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.