The Treatment of Financial Transactions in the SNA: A User Cost Approach
The paper considers some of the problems associated with the indirectly measured components of financial service outputs in the System of National Accounts (SNA), termed FISIM (Financial Intermediation Services Indirectly Measured). The paper considers how to integrate financial transactions into the balance sheet and production accounts of a firm; i.e., the paper looks at FISIM more broadly. In order to minimize the role of imputations, the paper considers a firm that raises capital at the beginning of the accounting period, engages in some form of productive activity during the period and then distributes the initial capital and any profits back to the capitalists who financed the firm.
|Date of creation:||20 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:||20 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Rymes, T K, 1983. "More on the Measurement of Total Factor Productivity," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 29(3), pages 297-316, September.
- William Barnett & Shu Wu, 2004.
"On user costs of risy monetary assets,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200404, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2004.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fixler, Dennis & Zieschang, Kimberly, 2012.
"Problems with the Measurement of Banking Services in a National Accounting Framework,"
Economics working papers
erwin_diewert-2012-14, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 04 Apr 2012.
- Erwin Diewert & Dennis Fixler & Kimberly Zieschang, 2012. "Problems with the Measurement of Banking Services in a National Accounting Framework," Discussion Papers 2012-25, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Barnett, William A., 1978. "The user cost of money," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 145-149.
- Diewert, W E, 1974. "Intertemporal Consumer Theory and the Demand for Durables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 497-516, May.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2011.
"The Value Of Risk: Measuring The Service Output Of U.S. Commercial Banks,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 226-245, 01.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008. "The value of risk: measuring the service output of U. S. commercial banks," Working Papers 08-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Basu, Susanto & Inklaar, Robert & Wang, J. Christina, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-102, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," NBER Working Papers 14615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keuning, Steven, 1999. "The Role of Financial Capital in Production," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(4), pages 419-34, December.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fixler, Dennis & Zieschang, Kimberly, 2011. "The Measurement of Banking Services in the System of National Accounts," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2011-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2011.
- Robert Inklaar, 2010.
"The Sensitivity Of Capital Services Measurement: Measure All Assets And The Cost Of Capital,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(2), pages 389-412, 06.
- Inklaar, Robert, 2008. "The Sensitivity of Capital Services Measurement: Measure all assets and the cost of capital," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-103, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hancock, Diana, 1985. "The Financial Firm: Production with Monetary and Nonmonetary Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 859-80, October.
- Erwin W. Diewert, 2010. "User Costs versus Waiting Services and Depreciation in a Model of Production," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(6), pages 759-771, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:bricol:erwin_diewert-2014-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.