Data for Productivity Measurement in Market Services: An International Comparison
With market services accounting for an increasing share of GDP as well as for differences in productivity growth performance across countries, the need for accurate measures of services output is becoming ever more important. In this article we first provide an international comparative perspective on the current state of measurement practices in market services across Europe. Second, we discuss the concrete measurement issues and possibilities for improvement in retail trade and banking. Our comparison of European measurement practices shows that improvements are feasible in many countries and industries without the need for fundamental conceptual research: it mostly requires national statistical agencies to devote additional efforts and resources to this objective. This is exemplified in retail trade, where existing data can be used to yield conceptually superior output measures. But there are other industries for which more research is required. Recent progress on the conceptual challenges to measure bank output suggests new data collection efforts would be needed in most countries to improve measurement of output growth in that industry.
Volume (Year): 16 (2008)
Issue (Month): (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gustavo Crespi & Chiara Criscuolo & Jonathan Haskel & Denise Hawkes, 2006. "Measuring and Understanding Productivity in UK Market Services," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 560-572, Winter.
- Dennis J Fixler & Marshall B Reinsdorf & Shaunda Villones, 2010. "Measuring the services of commercial banks in the NIPA," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The IFC's contribution to the 57th ISI Session, Durban, August 2009, volume 33, pages 346-349 Bank for International Settlements.
- Gordon, Robert J, 2004.
"Why Was Europe Left at the Station when America's Productivity Locomotive Departed?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4416, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gordon, 2004. "Why was Europe Left at the Station When America's Productivity Locomotive Departed?," NBER Working Papers 10661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2004.
"A general-equilibrium asset-pricing approach to the measurement of nominal and real bank output,"
04-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- J. Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2009. "A General-Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Approach to the Measurement of Nominal and Real Bank Output," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 273-320 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2008. "A General-Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Approach to the Measurement of Nominal and Real Bank Output," NBER Working Papers 14616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1994.
"Productivity, R&D, and the Data Constraint,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Jochen Hartwig, 2008. "Productivity Growth In Service Industries: Are The Transatlantic Differences Measurement-Driven?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(3), pages 494-505, 09.
- Jack E. Triplett & Barry P. Bosworth, 2008. "The State of Data for Services Productivity Measurement in the United States," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 16, pages 53-71, Spring.
- Anita Wölfl, 2003. "Productivity Growth in Service Industries: An Assessment of Recent Patterns and the Role of Measurement," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2003/7, OECD Publishing.
- Erwin Diewert, 2008. "What Is To Be Done for Better productivity Measurement," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 16, pages 40-52, Spring.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Measuring Productivity in the System of National Accounts," Economics working papers diewert-07-11-16-12-39-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 16 Nov 2007.
- Robert Inklaar & Marcel P. Timmer & Bart van Ark, 2008. "Market services productivity across Europe and the US," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 139-194, 01.
- Robert Inklaar & Marcel Timmer, 2008. "Accounting for growth in retail trade: an international productivity comparison," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 23-31, February.
- Marcel P. Timmer & Mary O’Mahony & Bart van Ark, 2007. "EU KLEMS Growth and Productivity Accounts: An Overview," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 14, pages 71-85, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:ipmsls:v:16:y:2008:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.