The Financial Crisis and the Measurement of Financial Sector Activity
The widespread expectation, forcefully posed by Reinhart and Rogoff (2009), that growth in the U.S. and the rest of the industrialized world will be subpar for a prolonged period following the financial crisis, raises issues for the measurement of the financial sector’s activity. According to the U.S. NIPA, finance and insurance accounts for roughly 8 percent of GDP, much of which consists of routine processing of transactions and maintenance of accounts. As noted in Steindel (2009), by normal growth accounting reasoning, even a marked contraction in the sector’s activity would not seem likely to be capable by itself to have a major prolonged negative impact on growth. One possible alternate way to account for the activity of the sector, building on the work of Corrado, Hulten, and Sichel (2005, 2009), is that the very high levels of employee compensation in finance partly reflect investments in market knowledge, a form of intangible capital. The increased growth in such market knowledge in the years leading up to the crisis may have helped to support growth in the economy outside of finance, while its diminution in the current environment (if not offset by increased growth of comparable knowledge elsewhere) could work to hold down growth. Altering the treatment of finance in the accounts in this fashion helps to bridge, if not fully close, the gap between the absolute size of the sector as gauged in the standard way and its generally acknowledged large and persistent effect on aggregate activity.
|Date of creation:||13 Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates,"
in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly
Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973, 01-2013.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2009.
"Conventional and Unconventional Monetary Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7514, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2008.
"A General-Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Approach to the Measurement of Nominal and Real Bank Output,"
NBER Working Papers
14616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2009. "A General-Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Approach to the Measurement of Nominal and Real Bank Output," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 273-320 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Christina Wang & Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 2004. "A general-equilibrium asset-pricing approach to the measurement of nominal and real bank output," Working Papers 04-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Carol Corrado & Charles R. Hulten & Daniel E. Sichel, 2004.
"Measuring capital and technology: an expanded framework,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-65, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carol Corrado & Charles Hulten & Daniel Sichel, 2005. "Measuring Capital and Technology: An Expanded Framework," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Capital in the New Economy, pages 11-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008.
"The value of risk: measuring the service output of U. S. commercial banks,"
08-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2011. "The Value Of Risk: Measuring The Service Output Of U.S. Commercial Banks," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 226-245, 01.
- Basu, Susanto & Inklaar, Robert & Wang, J. Christina, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-102, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Susanto Basu & Robert Inklaar & J. Christina Wang, 2008. "The Value of Risk: Measuring the Service Output of U.S. Commercial Banks," NBER Working Papers 14615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009.
"The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
699, OECD Publishing.
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012. "The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- W. Erwin Diewert & John S. Greenlees & Charles R. Hulten, 2009. "Price Index Concepts and Measurement," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number diew08-1, September.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart, 2010.
"After the Fall,"
NBER Working Papers
16334, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent Reinhart, 2010. "After the fall," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 17-60.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 2010. "Diminished Expectations, Double Dips, and External Shocks: The Decade After the Fall," MPRA Paper 24969, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2008:x:80 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Charles Steindel, 2009. "Implications of the financial crisis for potential growth: past, present, and future," Staff Reports 408, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Dennis J Fixler & Marshall B Reinsdorf & Shaunda Villones, 2010. "Measuring the services of commercial banks in the NIPA," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The IFC's contribution to the 57th ISI Session, Durban, August 2009, volume 33, pages 346-349 Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.