The productivity of the banking sector: integrating financial and production approaches to measuring financial service output
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Halpern, Paul J. & Mathewson, G. Frank, 1975. "Economies of scale in financial institutions : A general model applied to insurance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-220, April.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I, 1992.
" Information Spillovers, Margins, Scale and Scope: With an Application to Canadian Life Insurance,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages 95-105, Supplemen.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein, 1992. "Information Spillovers, Margins, Scale and Scope: With an Application to Canadian Life Insurance," NBER Working Papers 3979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W E, 1992. "The Measurement of Productivity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 163-198, July.
- David B. Humphrey, 1991. "Productivity in banking and effects from deregulation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Mar, pages 16-28.
- Daly, Michael J. & Someshwar Rao, P. & Geehan, Randall, 1985. "Productivity, scale economies and technical progress in the Canadian life insurance industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 345-361, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Borga, 2009. "Improved Measures of U.S. International Services: The Cases of Insurance, Wholesale and Retail Trade, and Financial Services," NBER Chapters,in: International Trade in Services and Intangibles in the Era of Globalization, pages 75-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 2003.
"Explaining the dramatic changes in performance of US banks: technological change, deregulation, and dynamic changes in competition,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 57-95, January.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 2001. "Explaining the Dramatic Changes in Performance of U.S. Banks: Technological Change, Deregulation and Dynamic Changes in Competition," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-22, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 2002. "Explaining the dramatic changes in performance of U.S. banks: technological change, deregulation, and dynamic changes in competition," Working Papers 01-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Igue, Charlemagne Babatoundé, 2013. "Intermédiation financière et croissance économique : une approche basée sur le concept d’efficacité-X appliquée à la zone UEMOA," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 89(1), pages 7-37, Mars.
- Helen Simpson, 2009. "Productivity In Public Services," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 250-276, April.
- Mario Fortin & André Leclerc, 2011.
"L’Efficience Des Cooperatives De Services Financiers: Une Analyse De La Contribution Du Milieu,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(1), pages 45-62, March.
- Mario Fortin & André Leclerc, 2010. "L’efficience des cooperatives de services financiers : Une analyse de la contribution du milieu," Cahiers de recherche 10-23, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Mario Fortin & Andre Leclerc, 2010. "L’Efficience Des Cooperatives De Services Financiers : Une Analyse De La Contribution Du Milieu," Cahiers de recherche 10-14, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Alain Serres & Stefano Scarpetta & Christine Maisonneuve, 2001. "Falling Wage Shares in Europe and the United States: How Important is Aggregation Bias?," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 375-401, December.
- Pamfili Antipa & Marie-Elisabeth de la Serve, 2010. "International Comparisons of Industry-based Productivity Levels in the Financial and Business Service Sectors," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 19, pages 66-81, Spring.
- Leclerc, André & Fortin, Mario, 2009.
"Économies d’échelle et de gamme dans les coopératives de services financiers : une approche non paramétrique (DEA),"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 85(3), pages 263-282, septembre.
- Mario Fortin & Andre Leclerc, 2009. "Économies d’échelle et de gamme dans les coopératives de services financiers : une approche non paramétrique (DEA)," Cahiers de recherche 09-08, Departement d'Economique de l'École de gestion à l'Université de Sherbrooke.
- Rath, D.P. & Nayak, P.K. & Lakshmanan, L & Mandal, K & Raj, Rajesh & Fanai, V, 2006. "A User’s Perspective on the Database of Services Sector in Indian Economy," MPRA Paper 10258, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2006.
- Ad van Riet & Moreno Roma, 2006. "Competition, productivity and prices in the euro area services sector," Occasional Paper Series 44, European Central Bank.
- Johann Burgstaller, 2005. "Interest rate pass-through estimates from vector autoregressive models," Economics working papers 2005-10, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Sanyal, Paroma & Shankar, Rashmi, 2011. "Ownership, competition, and bank productivity: An analysis of Indian banking in the post-reform period," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 225-247, April.
- Abdelaziz Rouabah & Paolo Guarda, 2007. "Banking output & price indicators from quarterly reporting data," BCL working papers 27, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Paul Schreyer, 2009. "Comment on "A General-Equilibrium Asset-Pricing Approach to the Measurement of Nominal and Real Bank Output"," NBER Chapters,in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 320-328 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paolo Guarda & Abdelaziz Rouabah & Michael Vardanyan, 2013. "Identifying bank outputs and inputs with a directional technology distance function," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 185-195, October.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Zhu, Haiyan, 2013. "A survey on bank branch efficiency and performance research with data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 61-79.
- Adolfo Rodriguez Vargas, 2009. "Assessing the contribution of financial innovations to the production of implicit services of financial intermediation in Costa Rica," IFC Bulletins chapters,in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Measuring financial innovation and its impact", Basel, 26-27 August 2008, volume 31, pages 445-466 Bank for International Settlements.
- J. Christina Wang, 2003. "Loanable funds, risk, and bank service output," Working Papers 03-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Susanto Basu, 2009. "Comment on "Incorporating Financial Services in a Consumer Price Index"," NBER Chapters,in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 266-271 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1999.
"What Explains the Dramatic Changes in Cost and Profit Performance of the U.S. Banking Industry?,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
99-10, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1999. "What explains the dramatic changes in cost and profit performance of the U.S. banking industry?," Working Papers 99-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1999. "What explains the dramatic changes in cost and profit performance of the U.S. banking industry?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-13, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jayasinghe, Milan, 2005. "On the Mechanics of Measuring the Production of Financial Institutions," MPRA Paper 7694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brent R. Moulton, 2000. "Measurement of Banking Services in the U.S. National Income and Product Accounts: Recent Changes and Outstanding Issues," BEA Papers 0001, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Rouatt, Stephen & Zhu, Haiyan, 2011. "Two-stage evaluation of bank branch efficiency using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-109, January.
- Barros, C.P. & Emrouznejad, Ali, 2016. "Assessing productive efficiency of banks using integrated Fuzzy-DEA and bootstrapping: A case of Mozambican banksAuthor-Name: Wanke, Peter," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 249(1), pages 378-389.
- Marko Primorac & Zvonimir Troskot, 2005. "Measuring the efficiency and productivity of the Croatian banks with Malmquists index of change of total factor productivity," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 29(4), pages 309-325.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cje:issued:v:32:y:1999:i:2:p:547-569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ceaaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.