SMEs; Virtual research and development (R&D) teams and new product development: A literature review
Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) are indeed the engines of global economic growth. Their continued growth is a major subject for the economy and employment of any country. Towards that end, virtual research and development (R&D) could be a viable option to sustain and ease the operations of SMEs. However, literature shows there has not been a great deal of research into the diverse characteristic of virtual R&D teams in SMEs. This article provides a comprehensive literature review on different aspects of virtual R&D teams collected from the reputed publications. The purpose of the literature review is to provide an outline on the structure and dynamics of R&D collaboration in SMEs. Specifying the rationale and relevance of virtual teams, the relationship between virtual R&D team for SMEs and new product development (NPD) has been examined. It concludes with identifying the gaps and feebleness in the existing literature and calls for future research in this area. It is argued to form of virtual R&D team deserves consideration at top level management for venturing into the new product development within SMEs.
|Date of creation:||20 May 2010|
|Date of revision:||10 Jun 2010|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of the Physical Sciences 7.5(2010): pp. 916-930|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan MacCormack & Roberto Verganti & Marco Iansiti, 2001. "Developing Products on "Internet Time": The Anatomy of a Flexible Development Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 133-150, January.
- Tiwari, Rajnish & Buse, Stephan, 2007. "Barriers to innovation in SMEs: Can the internationalization of R&D mitigate their effects?," Working Papers 50, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management.
- Francesco Perrini & Angeloantonio Russo & Antonio Tencati, 2007. "CSR Strategies of SMEs and Large Firms. Evidence from Italy," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 285-300, September.
- Mezgar, Istvan & Kovacs, Gyorgy L. & Paganelli, Paolo, 2000. "Co-operative production planning for small- and medium-sized enterprises," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 37-48, March.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Preston, Lee, 1997. " Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Technology, and Globalization: Introduction to a Special Issue on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Global Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-6, February.
- Pawar, Kulwant S. & Sharifi, Sudi, 1997. "Physical or virtual team collocation: Does it matter?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 283-290, October.
- Bougrain, Frederic & Haudeville, Bernard, 2002. "Innovation, collaboration and SMEs internal research capacities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 735-747, July.
- Giuseppe Calabrese & Secondo Rolfo, 2001. "The Role Of The Industrial Policy In Italy," CERIS Working Paper 200106, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- von Zedtwitz, Maximilian & Gassmann, Oliver, 2002. "Market versus technology drive in R&D internationalization: four different patterns of managing research and development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 569-588, May.
- Charles Davis & Elaine Sun, 2006. "Business Development Capabilities in Information Technology SMEs in a Regional Economy: An Exploratory Study," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 145-161, 01.
- Van Ryssen, Stefaan & Godar, Susan Hayes, 2000. "Going international without going international: multinational virtual teams," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 49-60.
- Criscuolo, Paola, 2005. "On the road again: Researcher mobility inside the R&D network," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1350-1365, November.
- Manju K. Ahuja & Dennis F. Galletta & Kathleen M. Carley, 2003. "Individual Centrality and Performance in Virtual R& D Groups: An Empirical Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(1), pages 21-38, January.
- Laforet, Sylvie, 2008. "Size, strategic, and market orientation affects on innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 753-764, July.
- Jansson, Hans & Sandberg, Susanne, 2008. "Internationalization of small and medium sized enterprises in the Baltic Sea Region," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 65-77, March.
- Timo Pihkala & Elina Varamaki & Jukka Vesalainen, 1999. "Virtual organization and the SMEs: a review and model development," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 335-349, October.
- Linda Low, 2006. "A putative East Asian business model," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(7), pages 512-528, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26989. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.