Virtual R & D teams in small and medium enterprises: A literature review
Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) are the driving engine behind economic growth. While SMEs play a critical role in generating employment and supporting trade, they face numerous challenges, the prominent among them are the need to respond to fasting time-to-market, low-cost and rapid solutions to complex organizational problems. Towards that end, research and development (R & D) aspect deserves particular attention to promote and facilitate the operations of SMEs. Virtual R & D team could be a viable option. However, literature shows that virtual R & D teaming in SMEs is still at its infancy. This article provides a comprehensive literature review on different aspects of virtual R & D teams collected from the reputed publications. The purpose of the state-of-the-art literature review is to provide an overview on the structure and dynamics of R & D collaboration in SMEs. Specifying the foundation and importance of virtual teams, the relationship between virtual R & D team and SMEs has been examined. It concludes with the identification of the gaps in the existing literature's and calls for future research. It is argued that setting-up an infrastructure for virtual R & D team in SMEs still requires a large amount of engineering efforts and deserves consideration at top level management.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Scientific Research and Essays 13.4(2009): pp. 1575-1590|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Criscuolo, Paola, 2005. "On the road again: Researcher mobility inside the R&D network," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1350-1365, November.
- Ge, Zehui & Hu, Qiying, 2008. "Collaboration in R&D activities: Firm-specific decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(2), pages 864-883, March.
- Francesco Perrini & Angeloantonio Russo & Antonio Tencati, 2007. "CSR Strategies of SMEs and Large Firms. Evidence from Italy," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 285-300, September.
- Jansson, Hans & Sandberg, Susanne, 2008. "Internationalization of small and medium sized enterprises in the Baltic Sea Region," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 65-77, March.
- Pawar, Kulwant S. & Sharifi, Sudi, 1997. "Physical or virtual team collocation: Does it matter?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 283-290, October.
- Gassmann, Oliver & Keupp, Marcus Matthias, 2007. "The competitive advantage of early and rapidly internationalising SMEs in the biotechnology industry: A knowledge-based view," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 350-366, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2007:i:30:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Acs, Zoltan J & Preston, Lee, 1997. "Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Technology, and Globalization: Introduction to a Special Issue on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Global Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-6, February.
- Yoke-Tong Chew & Henry Wai-Chung Yeung, 2001. "The SME Advantage: Adding Local Touch to Foreign Transnational Corporations in Singapore," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 431-448.
- Levy, Margi & Powell, Philip, 1998. "SME Flexibility and the Role of Information Systems," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 183-96, September.
- Giuseppe Calabrese & Secondo Rolfo, 2001. "The Role Of The Industrial Policy In Italy," CERIS Working Paper 200106, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Mezgar, Istvan & Kovacs, Gyorgy L. & Paganelli, Paolo, 2000. "Co-operative production planning for small- and medium-sized enterprises," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 37-48, March.
- Dickson, Pat H. & Weaver, K. Mark & Hoy, Frank, 2006. "Opportunism in the R&D alliances of SMES: The roles of the institutional environment and SME size," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 487-513, July.
- Bougrain, Frederic & Haudeville, Bernard, 2002. "Innovation, collaboration and SMEs internal research capacities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 735-747, July.
- Hegde, Deepak & Hicks, Diana, 2008. "The maturation of global corporate R&D: Evidence from the activity of U.S. foreign subsidiaries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 390-406, April.
- Timo Pihkala & Elina Varamaki & Jukka Vesalainen, 1999. "Virtual organization and the SMEs: a review and model development," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 335-349, October.
- Charles Davis & Elaine Sun, 2006. "Business Development Capabilities in Information Technology SMEs in a Regional Economy: An Exploratory Study," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 145-161, 01.
- Cassey Lee & Lee Chew ging, 2007. "SME Innovation in the Malaysian Manufacturing Sector," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(30), pages 1-12.
- Tiwari, Rajnish & Buse, Stephan, 2007. "Barriers to innovation in SMEs: Can the internationalization of R&D mitigate their effects?," Working Papers 50, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management.
- Kuo, Hsien-Chang & Li, Yang, 2003. "A Dynamic Decision Model of SMEs' FDI," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 219-31, May.
- Narula,Rajneesh, 2001. "R&D Collaboration by SMEs: new opportunities and limitations in the face of globalisation," Research Memorandum 011, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Meghana Ayyagari & Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt, 2007. "Small and Medium Enterprises Across the Globe," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 415-434, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.