From rags to riches? Immigration and poverty in Spain
This paper explores for the first time the relationship between immigration and poverty in Spain. Using the EU Statistics on Income and Living Conditions 2006, we find that both moderate and severe poverty are more acute among migrants than among nationals and social transfers play no substantial role in reducing poverty in the former case. In addition, using an econometric non-linear decomposition, we show the gap in deprivation incidence is fully explained by the different effects of household characteristics on poverty reduction for immigrants and locals.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristina Fernández & Carolina Ortega, 2008.
"Labor market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 83-107, June.
- Fernandez, Cristina & Ortega, Carolina, 2006. "Labour market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?," IESE Research Papers D/644, IESE Business School.
- Cristina Fernández & Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Immigrants in Spain: Employment at the Expense of Bad Job-Matches?," Working Papers 2006-21, FEDEA.
- Yun, Myeong-Su, 2004.
"Decomposing differences in the first moment,"
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 275-280, February.
- Blume Jensen, Kræn & Gustafsson, Björn Anders & Pedersen, Peder J. & Verner, Mette, 2005. "At the Lower End of the Table: Determinants of Poverty among Immigrants to Denmark and Sweden," IZA Discussion Papers 1551, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carrasco, Raquel & Ortega, Ana Carolina & Jimeno, Juan F., 2004.
"The effect of immigration on the employment opportunities of native-born workers : some evidence for Spain,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we046122, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Raquel Carrasco & Juan Ramón García & Ana Carolina Ortega, . "The Effect of Immigration on the Employment Opportunities of Native-Born Workers: Some Evidence for Spain," Working Papers 2004-17, FEDEA.
- Gomulka, Joanna & Stern, Nicholas, 1990. "The Employment of Married Women in the United Kingdom 1970-83," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(226), pages 171-99, May.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla, Pilar, 1999.
"Migration in Spain: Historical Background and Current Trends,"
IZA Discussion Papers
88, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olympia Bover & Pilar Velilla, 1999. "Migrations in Spain: Historical Background and Current Trends," Working Papers 9909, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- José-Ignacio Antón & Rafael Muñoz de Bustillo, 2010.
"Health care utilisation and immigration in Spain,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 11(5), pages 487-498, October.
- Gang, Ira N. & Sen, Kunal & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2002.
"Caste, Ethnicity and Poverty in Rural India,"
IZA Discussion Papers
629, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- José-Ignacio Antón & Rafael Muñoz de Bustillo & Miguel Carrera, 2010. "From guests to hosts: immigrant-native wage differentials in Spain," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(6), pages 645-659, September.
- JÃ¶rgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2010.
"Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare,"
- Jorgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2003. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out of Welfare?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- Hansen, Jörgen & Lofstrom, Magnus, 1999. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare," IZA Discussion Papers 100, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hansen, Jörgen & Löfström, Magnus, 2000. "Immigrant Assimilation And Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into Or Out Of Welfare?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2430, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taryn Ann Galloway & Rolf Aaberge, 2005.
"Assimilation effects on poverty among immigrants in Norway,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(4), pages 691-718, November.
- Galloway, Taryn Ann & Aaberge, Rolf, 2003. "Assimilation Effects on Poverty Among Immigrants in Norway," Memorandum 07/2003, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ira N. Gang & Myeong-Su Yun, 2006.
"A Note on Decomposing Differences in Poverty Incidence Using Regression Estimates: Algorithm and Example,"
Departmental Working Papers
200633, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Gang, Ira N. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2006. "A Note on Decomposing Differences in Poverty Incidence Using Regression Estimates: Algorithm and Example," IZA Discussion Papers 2262, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sílvio Rendon, 2007.
"The Catalan premium: language and employment in Catalonia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 20(3), pages 669-686, July.
- Silvio Rendon, 2006. "The Catalan Premium: Language and Employment in Catalonia," Working Papers 0604, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Rendón, Silvio, 2003. "The catalan premium: language and employment in Catalonia," UC3M Working papers. Economics we033410, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Juan Canal-Domínguez & César Rodríguez-Gutiérrez, 2008. "Analysis of wage differences between native and immigrant workers in Spain," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 109-134, June.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, Junio.
- Esteban Sanromà & Raúl Ramos & Hipólito Simón, 2009.
"Immigrant wages in the Spanish labour market: does the origin of human capital matter?,"
2009/8, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Sanromá, Esteban & Ramos, Raul & Simón, Hipólito, 2009. "Immigrant Wages in the Spanish Labour Market: Does the Origin of Human Capital Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 4157, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- M. Dolores Collado & Iñigo Iturbe Ormaetxe & Guadalupe Valera, 2002.
"Quantifying The Impact Of Immigration On The Spanish Welfare State,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2002-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- M. Dolores Collado & IÒigo Iturbe-Ormaetxe & Guadalupe Valera, 2004. "Quantifying the Impact of Immigration on the Spanish Welfare State," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 11(3), pages 335-353, 05.
- Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Jiménez-Rubio, Dolores, 2009.
"A comparison of the health status and health care utilization patterns between foreigners and the national population in Spain: New evidence from the Spanish National Health Survey,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 370-378, August.
- Hernández Quevedo, C & Jiménez Rubio, D, 2008. "A comparison of the health status and health care utilisation patterns between foreigners and the national population in Spain: new evidence from the Spanish National Health Survey," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 08/22, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen J. Trejo, 1990.
"Immigrant Participation in the Welfare System,"
NBER Working Papers
3423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Scott, Christopher & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Poverty Measurement and Analysis," MPRA Paper 45362, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Taryn Ann Galloway, 2006. "Do Immigrants Integrate Out of Poverty in Norway," Discussion Papers 482, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- González, Libertad & Ortega, Francesc, 2011. "How do very open economies adjust to large immigration flows? Evidence from Spanish regions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 57-70, January.
- Muñoz de Bustillo, Rafael & Antón, José-Ignacio, 2009. "Immigration and Social Benefits in a Mediterranean Welfare State: The Case of Spain," MPRA Paper 13849, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13848. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.