Multidimensional poverty in immigrant households: a comparative analysis within the Europe 2020 framework
The European 2020 Strategy has launched a novel indicator for monitoring poverty reduction over the current decade, simultaneously taking into account income, material deprivation and work intensity. The present paper uses this new indicator as a springboard for a discussion of the potential of a multidimensional measure, based on these three domains, to analyse the risk of poverty and social exclusion among immigrants. It is argued that the analytical insight and internal consistency of the new Europe 2020 indicator can be enhanced by a more structured measurement approach, relying on some recent advances generated by multidimensional poverty literature. The Alkire-Foster methodology provides a natural extension to the Europe 2020 indicator, which can usefully complement the picture drawn from the at-risk-of-poverty or social exclusion statistics. In the second part of the paper, these adjusted measures are used to analyse the multidimensional poverty profiles of immigrant households in Spain and other five developed countries, as well as the changes occurring since the beginning of the economic downturn. We try to show that the Europe 2020 indicator alone may not be sufficient to reflect the growing intensity of multidimensional deprivation among immigrants in some countries.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1130 rue Sherbrooke Ouest, suite 1400, Montréal, Quéc, H3A 2M8|
Phone: (514) 985-4000
Fax: (514) 985-4039
Web page: http://www.cirano.qc.ca/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alcobendas, Miguel Angel & Rodríguez-Planas, Núria, 2009.
"Immigrants' Assimilation Process in a Segmented Labor Market,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4394, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Miguel Angel Alcobendas & Núria Rodríquez-Planas, 2010. "Immigrants' Assimilation Process In A Segmented Labor Market," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 822.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Sandra Nieto & Alessia Matano & Raul Ramos, 2013.
"“Skill mismatches in the EU: Immigrants vs. natives”,"
IREA Working Papers
201318, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2013.
- Nieto, Sandra & Matano, Alessia & Ramos, Raul, 2013. "Skill Mismatches in the EU: Immigrants vs. Natives," IZA Discussion Papers 7701, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sandra Nieto & Alessia Matano & Raul Ramos, 2013. "“Skill mismatches in the EU: Immigrants vs. natives”," AQR Working Papers 201310, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Oct 2013.
- Fernandez, Cristina & Ortega, Carolina, 2006.
"Labour market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/644, IESE Business School.
- Cristina Fernández & Carolina Ortega, 2008. "Labor market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 83-107, June.
- Cristina Fernández & Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Immigrants in Spain: Employment at the Expense of Bad Job-Matches?," Working Papers 2006-21, FEDEA.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Sara de la Rica, 2007.
"Labour Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 45(2), pages 257-284, 06.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 2104, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amuedo Dorantes, Catalina & De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain," DFAEII Working Papers 2006-01, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Hipólito Simón & Raúl Ramos & Esteban Sanromá, 2011.
"Occupational mobility of immigrants in a low skilled economy. The Spanish case,"
2011/28, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Simón, Hipólito & Ramos, Raul & Sanromá, Esteban, 2011. "Occupational Mobility of Immigrants in a Low Skilled Economy: The Spanish Case," IZA Discussion Papers 5581, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hipólito Simón & Esteban Sanromá & Raúl Ramos, 2008. "Labour segregation and immigrant and native-born wage distributions in Spain: an analysis using matched employer–employee data," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 135-168, June.
- Pi Alperin, Maria Noel, 2008. "A comparison of multidimensional deprivation characteristics between natives and immigrants in Luxembourg," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-14, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Mario Izquierdo & Aitor Lacuesta & Raquel Vegas, 2009.
"Assimilation of immigrants in Spain: A longitudinal analysis,"
0904, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Izquierdo, Mario & Lacuesta, Aitor & Vegas, Raquel, 2009. "Assimilation of immigrants in Spain: A longitudinal analysis," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 669-678, December.
- Giulietti, Corrado & Guzi, Martin & Kahanec, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2011.
"Unemployment Benefits and Immigration: Evidence from the EU,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6075, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Corrado Giulietti, 2013. "Unemployment benefits and immigration: evidence from the EU," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 24-38, March.
- Giulietti, Corrado & Guzi, Martin & Kahanec, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2011. "Unemployment Benefits and Immigration: Evidence from the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 8672, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George J. Borjas, 2006. "Making it in America: Social Mobility in the Immigrant Population," NBER Working Papers 12088, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian Nolan & Christopher T. Whelan, 2010. "Using non-monetary deprivation indicators to analyze poverty and social exclusion: Lessons from Europe?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 305-325.
- Notten, Geranda, 2013. "Child deprivation in Ontario: A (less than perfect) comparison with Europe," MERIT Working Papers 030, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Walter Bossert & Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2013. "Multidimensional Poverty and Material Deprivation with Discrete Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 59(1), pages 29-43, 03.
- De Giorgi, Giacomo & Pellizzari, Michele, 2009. "Welfare migration in Europe," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 353-363, August.
- Borjas, George J, 1985. "Assimilation, Changes in Cohort Quality, and the Earnings of Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 463-489, October.
- Luis Ayala & Olga Cantó & Juan G. Rodríguez, 2011. "Poverty and the business cycle: The role of the intra-household distribution of unemployment," Working Papers 222, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Giovanni Facchini & Anna Maria Mayda, 2009.
"Does the Welfare State Affect Individual Attitudes toward Immigrants? Evidence across Countries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 91(2), pages 295-314, May.
- Giovanni Facchini & Anna Maria Mayda, 2007. "Does the Welfare State Affect Individual Attitudes towards Immigrants? Evidence Across Countries," Development Working Papers 233, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Facchini, Giovanni & Mayda, Maria, 2007. "Does the Welfare State Affect Individual Attitudes towards Immigrants? Evidence Across Countries," Economics Discussion Papers 8915, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- FUSCO Alessio & GUIO Anne-Catherine & MARLIER Eric, 2011. "Income poverty and material deprivation in European countries," LISER Working Paper Series 2011-04, LISER.
- HILDEBRAND Vincent & PI ALPERIN Maria Noel & VAN KERM Philippe, 2012. "Measuring and accounting for the deprivation gap of Portuguese immigrants in Luxembourg," LISER Working Paper Series 2012-33, LISER.
- Orsetta Causa & Sébastien Jean, 2007. "Integration of Immigrants in OECD Countries: Do Policies Matter?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 564, OECD Publishing.
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2002. "Multidimensional poverty indices," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 19(1), pages 69-93.
- François Bourguignon & Satya Chakravarty, 2003.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(1), pages 25-49, April.
- Joseph Deutsch & Jacques Silber, 2005. "Measuring Multidimensional Poverty: An Empirical Comparison Of Various Approaches," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(1), pages 145-174, 03.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2009.
"Complements or Substitutes? Task Specialization by Gender and Nativity in Spain,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4348, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2011. "Complements or substitutes? Task specialization by gender and nativity in Spain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 697-707, October.
- Valérie Berenger & Florent Bresson, 2013. "Poverty and Social Exclusion around the Mediterranean Sea," Post-Print halshs-00727229, HAL.
- Nolan, Brian & Whelan, Christopher T., 2011. "Poverty and Deprivation in Europe," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199588435.
- Chris De Neubourg & Yekaterina Chzhen & Gill Main & Bruno Martorano & Leonardo Menchini & Jonathan Bradshaw, 2012. "Child Deprivation, Multidimensional Poverty and Monetary Poverty in Europe," Papers inwopa657, Innocenti Working Papers, revised 2012.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Hipólito Simón & Raul Ramos & Esteban Sanromá, 2010. "Movilidad ocupacional de los inmigrantes en una economía de bajas cualificaciones. El caso de España," Working Papers XREAP2010-06, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jun 2010.
- Bibi, Sami, 2005. "Measuring Poverty in a Multidimensional Perspective: a Review of Literature," Working Papers PMMA 2005-07, PEP-PMMA.
- Ekrame Boubtane & Dramane Coulibaly & Christophe Rault, 2013.
"Immigration, Unemployment and Growth in the Host Country: Bootstrap Panel Granger Causality Analysis on OECD Countries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4213, CESifo Group Munich.
- Boubtane, Ekrame & Coulibaly, Dramane & Rault, Christophe, 2011. "Immigration, Unemployment and Growth in the Host Country: Bootstrap Panel Granger Causality Analysis on OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 5853, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rafael Muñoz de Bustillo & José-Ignacio Antón, 2011.
"From Rags to Riches? Immigration and Poverty in Spain,"
Population Research and Policy Review,
Springer;Southern Demographic Association (SDA), vol. 30(5), pages 661-676, October.
- Muñoz de Bustillo, Rafael & Antón, José-Ignacio, 2009. "From rags to riches? Immigration and poverty in Spain," MPRA Paper 13848, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cir:cirwor:2014s-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.