Occupational Mobility of Immigrants in a Low Skilled Economy: The Spanish Case
We analyze the occupational mobility of immigrants between their origin countries and Spain and its determinants. We use microdata from the Encuesta Nacional de Inmigrantes to compute an internationally harmonized occupational status index (ISEI) that permits to quantify and properly analyze this kind of mobility. The obtained evidence shows that, in general, immigrants experience a strong occupational downgrading in Spain when compared to their origin countries. This fact is due to the strong downgrading they experience when entering the Spanish labour market and their low improvement in the following years.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: European Journal of Population, 2014, 30 (2), 223-255|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amuedo Dorantes, Catalina & De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara, 2006.
"Labor Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2006-01, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Sara de la Rica, 2007. "Labour Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 45(2), pages 257-284, 06.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 2104, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Lee, Yew Liang & Miller, Paul W., 2002.
"Longitudinal Analysis of Immigrant Occupational Mobility: A Test of the Immigrant Assimilation Hypothesis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
452, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry R. Chiswick & Yew Liang Lee & Paul W. Miller, 2002. "Longitudinal Analysis of Immigrant Occupational Mobility: A Test of the Immigrant Assimilation Hypothesis," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 02-08, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Mahuteau, Stephane & Junankar, Pramod, 2007. "Do Migrants succeed in the Australian Labour Market? Furher Evidence on Job Quality," MPRA Paper 8703, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2008.
- Olof Åslund & Dan-Olof Rooth, 2007.
"Do when and where matter? initial labour market conditions and immigrant earnings,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(518), pages 422-448, 03.
- Åslund, Olof & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2003. "Do when and where matter? Initial labor market conditions and immigrant earnings," Working Paper Series 2003:7, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Constant, Amelie F. & Massey, Douglas S., 2002.
"Self-Selection, Earnings, and Out-Migration: A Longitudinal Study of Immigrants to Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
672, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amelie Constant & Douglas S. Massey, 2003. "Self-selection, earnings, and out-migration: A longitudinal study of immigrants to Germany," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 16(4), pages 631-653, November.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2011.
"Complements or substitutes? Task specialization by gender and nativity in Spain,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 697-707, October.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2009. "Complements or Substitutes? Task Specialization by Gender and Nativity in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 4348, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mark C. Regets & Harriet Orcutt Duleep, 1999. "Immigrants and Human-Capital Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 186-191, May.
- Alan Barrett & David Duffy, 2007.
"Are Ireland's Immigrants Integrating into its Labour Market?,"
WP199, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Barrett, Alan & Duffy, David, 2007. "Are Ireland’s Immigrants Integrating into its Labour Market?," IZA Discussion Papers 2838, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hipólito Simón & Esteban Sanromá & Raúl Ramos, 2008. "Labour segregation and immigrant and native-born wage distributions in Spain: an analysis using matched employer–employee data," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 135-168, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5581. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.