Health care utilisation and immigration in Spain
The aim of this work is to analyze the use of health care services by immigrants in Spain. Using a nationally representative health survey from 2006-2007 that allows overcoming problems present in previous studies and negative binomial and hurdle models, it is found that there is no statistically significant difference in the patterns of visits to physicians and hospital stays between migrants and natives in Spain. However, immigrants have a lower access to specialists and visit emergency rooms with higher frequency than nationals.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10198/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Trivedi, Pravin K., 2000.
"Equity in Swedish Health Care Reconsidered: New Results based on the Finite Mixture Model,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
365, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ulf-G. Gerdtham & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2001. "Equity in Swedish health care reconsidered: new results based on the finite mixture model," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 565-572.
- Frank Windmeijer & Joao Santos Silva, 1996.
"Endogeneity in count data models; an application to demand for health care,"
IFS Working Papers
W96/15, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Windmeijer, F A G & Silva, J M C Santos, 1997. "Endogeneity in Count Data Models: An Application to Demand for Health Care," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 281-94, May-June.
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Jones, Andrew M., 2000.
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 265-344
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G., 1996.
"Equity in Health Care Utilisation: Further Tests Based on Hurdle models and Swedish Micro Data,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
116, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ulf- G. Gerdtham, 1997. "Equity in Health Care Utilization: Further Tests Based on Hurdle Models and Swedish Micro Data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 303-319.
- William W. Gould & Jeffrey Pitblado & Brian Poi, 2010. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation with Stata," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 4, number ml4, November.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José Labeaga & Maite Martínez-Granado, 2004.
"An empirical analysis of the demand for physician services across the European Union,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 150-165, May.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José M. Labeaga & Maite Martínez-Granado, 2003. "An Empirical Analysis of the Demand for Physician Services Across the European Union," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003/45, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen J. Trejo, 1990.
"Immigrant Participation in the Welfare System,"
NBER Working Papers
3423, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- �ngel Marcos Vera-Hernández, 1999. "Duplicate coverage and demand for health care. The case of Catalonia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(7), pages 579-598.
- Fernandez, Cristina & Ortega, Carolina, 2006.
"Labour market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/644, IESE Business School.
- Cristina Fernández & Carolina Ortega, 2008. "Labor market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 83-107, June.
- Cristina Fernández & Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Immigrants in Spain: Employment at the Expense of Bad Job-Matches?," Working Papers 2006-21, FEDEA.
- Hansen, Jörgen & Lofstrom, Magnus, 1999.
"Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare,"
IZA Discussion Papers
100, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jorgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2003. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out of Welfare?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- Hansen, Jörgen & Löfström, Magnus, 2000. "Immigrant Assimilation And Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into Or Out Of Welfare?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2430, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- JÃ¶rgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2010. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare," Working Papers id:2647, eSocialSciences.
- Ignacio Abasolo & Rob Manning & Andrew Jones, 2001. "Equity in utilization of and access to public-sector GPs in Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 349-364.
- Muurinen, Jaana-Marja, 1982. "Demand for health: A generalised Grossman model," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 5-28, May.
- Jessica P. Vistnes, 1997. "Gender differences in days lost from work due to illness," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(2), pages 304-323, January.
- Grogger, J T & Carson, Richard T, 1991. "Models for Truncated Counts," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 225-38, July-Sept.
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2002. "Work and health in Switzerland: Immigrants and Natives," SOI - Working Papers 0203, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Boeri, Tito & Hanson, Gordon H. & McCormick, Barry (ed.), 2002. "Immigration Policy and the Welfare System: A Report for the Fondazione Rodolfo Debenedetti," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199256310, March.
- Marcel Bilger & Jean-Paul Chaze, 2008. "What Drives Individual Health Expenditure in Switzerland?," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(III), pages 337-358, September.
- Winfried Pohlmeier & Volker Ulrich, 1995. "An Econometric Model of the Two-Part Decisionmaking Process in the Demand for Health Care," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(2), pages 339-361.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521848053 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:eujhec:v:11:y:2010:i:5:p:487-498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.