What Drives Individual Health Expenditure in Switzerland?
The explanatory factors of individual healthcare consumption are studied by means of healthcare expenditures from the 2000–2005 Swiss Household Income and Expenditure Survey (SHIES). In order to tackle the issues of large number of null expenditures and skewed distribution of positive outcomes, the family of Box-Cox censoring models (Chaze, 2005) is applied. The results show that the use of SHIES data makes it possible to reveal many important factors of individual healthcare consumption, and that the role played by healthcare supply density variables is consistent with the theory of induced demand.
Volume (Year): 144 (2008)
Issue (Month): III (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew M. Jones, 2012.
The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics,
- Lehmann, Hansjorg & Zweifel, Peter, 2004. "Innovation and risk selection in deregulated social health insurance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 997-1012, September.
- Gardiol, Lucien & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves & Grandchamp, Chantal, 2005.
"Separating Selection and Incentive Effects in Health Insurance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5380, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucien Gardiol & Pierre-Yves Geoffard & Chantal Grandchamp, 2005. "Separating selection and incentive effects in health insurance," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590713, HAL.
- Blough, David K. & Madden, Carolyn W. & Hornbrook, Mark C., 1999. "Modeling risk using generalized linear models," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 153-171, April.
- Yen, Steven T. & Dellenbarger, Lynn E. & Schupp, Alvin R., 1995. "Determinants Of Participation And Consumption: The Case Of Crawfish In South Louisiana," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Yen, Steven & Dellenbarger, Lynn E. & Schupp, Alvin R., 1995. "Determinants of Participation and Consumption: The Case of Crawfish in South Louisiana," Staff General Research Papers Archive 874, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alberto HOLLY & Lucien GARDIOL & Gianfranco DOMENIGHETTI & Brigitte BISIG, 1998.
"An Econometric Model of Health Care Utilization and Health Insurance in Switzerland,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9803, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Holly, Alberto & Gardiol, Lucien & Domenighetti, Gianfranco & Brigitte Bisig, 1998. "An econometric model of health care utilization and health insurance in Switzerland," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 513-522, May.
- Yen, S. T. & Dellenbarger, L. E. & Schupp, A. R., 1995. "Determinants of Participation and Consumption: The Case of Crawfish in South Louisiana," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 253-262, July.
- Andreas Werblow, 2002. "Alles nur Selektion?: Der Einfluss von Selbstbehalten in der Gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 71(4), pages 427-436.
- Michael Gerfin & Martin Schellhorn, 2006.
"Nonparametric bounds on the effect of deductibles in health care insurance on doctor visits - Swiss evidence,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 1011-1020.
- Gerfin, Michael & Schellhorn, Martin, 2005. "Nonparametric Bounds on the Effect of Deductibles in Health Care Insurance on Doctor Visits – Swiss Evidence," IZA Discussion Papers 1616, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2008-iii-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.