Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare
This paper analyzes differences in welfare utilization between immigrants and natives in Sweden using a large panel data set, LINDA, for the years 1990 to 1996. Both welfare expenditures and immigration increased in Sweden in the 1990â€™s. We find that immigrants use welfare to a greater extent than natives and that non-refugee immigrants utilize social assistance less than refugee immigrants. Differences in welfare participation and number of months on welfare between immigrants and natives cannot be explained by observable socioeconomic characteristics. Using a random effects probit model, we find that immigrants lower their participation rates in welfare with time spent in Sweden. Refugees display substantially higher public assistance participation rates upon arrival in Sweden compared to non-refugee immigrants, but they assimilate out-of welfare at a faster rate than non-refugee immigrants. Neither immigrant group is predicted to reach the participation rates of native households within a 20 year period in Sweden. A fixed effects logit model supports these findings. The predicted differences in the length of social assistance spells follow a very similar pattern. Simulations of the move to a national uniform benefits structure in 1998 show a decrease in the participation rate and in expenditures. [IZA Discussion Paper No. 100]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S. A. Maani, 1993. "Immigrants and the Use of Government Transfer Payments," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 26(4), pages 65-76.
- Borjas, George J, 1985. "Assimilation, Changes in Cohort Quality, and the Earnings of Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 463-89, October.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "Immigration and Welfare, 1970-1990," NBER Working Papers 4872, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen J. Trejo, 1991.
"Immigrant participation in the welfare system,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(2), pages 195-211, January.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen J. Trejo, 1992.
"National Origin and Immigrant Welfare Recipiency,"
NBER Working Papers
4029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1995. "Tackling the European Migration Problems," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 45-62, Spring.
- Julian R. Betts & Magnus Lofstrom, 1998.
"The Educational Attainment of Immigrants: Trends and Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
6757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julian R. Betts & Magnus Lofstrom, 2000. "The Educational Attainment of Immigrants: Trends and Implications," NBER Chapters, in: Issues in the Economics of Immigration, pages 51-116 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borjas, George J & Hilton, Lynette, 1996.
"Immigration and the Welfare State: Immigrant Participation in Means-Tested Entitlement Programs,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(2), pages 575-604, May.
- George J. Borjas & Lynette Hilton, 1995. "Immigration and the Welfare State: Immigrant Participation in Means- Tested Entitlement Programs," NBER Working Papers 5372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francine D. Blau, 1984. "The use of transfer payments by immigrants," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 37(2), pages 222-239, January.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Michael Baker & Dwayne Benjamin, 1995. "The Receipt of Transfer Payments by Immigrants to Canada," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(4), pages 650-676.
- Wei-Yin Hu, 1998. "Elderly Immigrants on Welfare," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(3), pages 711-741.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2647. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.