A comparison of the health status and health care utilisation patterns between foreigners and the national population in Spain: new evidence from the Spanish National Health Survey
The reduction of inequalities in health and in the access to health services is one of the main objectives in any health care system. Various studies have analysed the existence of inequalities in health and in the use of health care for the Spanish population. However, the empirical evidence for the immigrant collective on this issue is as yet insufficient. This working paper aims to provide evidence on inequalities in health and in the access to health services for the immigrant population living in Spain, relative to that of the autochthonous population, by using the 2003 and 2006 Spanish National Health Survey. After using a pooled ordered probit for a measure of self-assessed health and pooled probit models for several utilisation variables, our results show that there are different patterns in health status and utilisation of health care between nationals and immigrants in Spain. Immigrants report better levels of health status than Spaniards, although they face barriers of entry to health care services. Health policies should focus on reducing legal, cultural and administrative barriers to access health services.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEDG/HERC, Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/postgrad/herc/hedg/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Cristina Masseria, 2004. "Income-Related Inequality in the Use of Medical Care in 21 OECD Countries," OECD Health Working Papers 14, OECD Publishing.
- Smaje, Chris & Le Grand, Julian, 1997. "Ethnicity, equity and the use of health services in the British NHS," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 485-496, August.
- James P. Smith, 2004.
"Unravelling the SES health connection,"
IFS Working Papers
W04/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Benzeval, Michaela & Judge, Ken, 2001. "Income and health: the time dimension," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 52(9), pages 1371-1390, May.
- Andrew M. Jones, 2012.
The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics,
- Ellen M. Gee & Karen M. Kobayashi & Steven Prus, 2007. "Ethnic Inequality in Canada: Economic and Health Dimensions," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 182, McMaster University.
- Adams, Peter & Hurd, Michael D. & McFadden, Daniel & Merrill, Angela & Ribeiro, Tiago, 2003.
"Healthy, wealthy, and wise? Tests for direct causal paths between health and socioeconomic status,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 3-56, January.
- Peter Adams & Michael D. Hurd & Daniel L. McFadden & Angela Merrill & Tiago Ribeiro, 2004. "Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise? Tests for Direct Causal Paths between Health and Socioeconomic Status," NBER Chapters, in: Perspectives on the Economics of Aging, pages 415-526 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ignacio Abasolo & Rob Manning & Andrew Jones, 2001. "Equity in utilization of and access to public-sector GPs in Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3), pages 349-364.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & van der Burg, Hattem & Christiansen, Terkel & De Graeve, Diana & Duchesne, Inge & Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Gerfin, Michael & Geurts, Jose & Gross, Lorna, 2000. "Equity in the delivery of health care in Europe and the US," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 553-583, September.
- Adam Wagstaff & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2000. "Measuring and Testing for Inequity in the Delivery of Health Care," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(4), pages 716-733.
- Hugh Gravelle & Stephen Morris & Matt Sutton, 2006.
"Economic Studies of Equity in the Consumption of Health Care,"
in: The Elgar Companion to Health Economics, chapter 18
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hugh Gravelle & Stephen Morris & Matt Sutton, 2012. "Economic Studies of Equity in the Consumption of Health Care," Chapters, in: The Elgar Companion to Health Economics, Second Edition, chapter 18 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Jones, Andrew M. & Rice, Nigel, 2008.
"Persistence in health limitations: A European comparative analysis,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1472-1488, December.
- Cristina Hernández-Quevedo & Andrew M. Jones & Nigel Rice, 2007. "Persistence in health limitations: a European comparative analysis," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 07/03, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Cristina Hernández-Quevedo & Andrew M Jones & Nigel Rice, 2005.
"Reporting bias and heterogeneity in selfassessed health. Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
05/04, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Cristina Hernandez-Quevedo & Andrew M Jones & Nigel Rice, . "Reporting Bias and Heterogeneity in Self-Assessed Health. Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey," Discussion Papers 04/18, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Begoña Álvarez, 2001. "La demanda atendida de consultas médicas y servicios urgentes en España," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 25(1), pages 93-138, January.
- McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven, 2004. "Insights into the 'healthy immigrant effect': health status and health service use of immigrants to Canada," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 1613-1627, October.
- Grossman, Michael, 2000. "The human capital model," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 347-408 Elsevier.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Paci, Pierella & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1991. "On the measurement of inequalities in health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 545-557, January.
- Morris, Stephen & Sutton, Matthew & Gravelle, Hugh, 2005. "Inequity and inequality in the use of health care in England: an empirical investigation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(6), pages 1251-1266, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:hectdg:08/22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Rawlings)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.