Income and health care utilization among the 50+ in Europe and the US
This study addresses the question how income affects health care utilization by the population aged 50 and over in the United States and a number of European countries with varying health care systems. The probabilities that individuals receive several medical services (visits to general practitioner, specialist, dentist, inpatient, or outpatient services) are analyzed separately using probit models. In addition to controls for income and demographic characteristics, controls for health status (both subjective and objective measures of health) are used. We analyze how the relationship between income and health care utilization varies across countries and relate these cross country differences to characteristics of the health care system, i.e., per capita total and public expenditure on health care, gate-keeping for specialist care, and co-payments.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Stargardt, 2008. "Health service costs in Europe: cost and reimbursement of primary hip replacement in nine countries," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(S1), pages S9-S20.
- Siok Swan Tan & W. Ken Redekop & Frans F. H. Rutten, 2008. "Costs and prices of single dental fillings in Europe: a micro-costing study," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(S1), pages S83-S93.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & van der Burg, Hattem & Christiansen, Terkel & De Graeve, Diana & Duchesne, Inge & Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Gerfin, Michael & Geurts, Jose & Gross, Lorna, 2000. "Equity in the delivery of health care in Europe and the US," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 553-583, September.
- Amartya Sen, 2002. "Why health equity?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(8), pages 659-666.
- JÃ¼rgen Maurer, 2007.
"Modelling socioeconomic and health determinants of health care use: A semiparametric approach,"
MEA discussion paper series
07145, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Jürgen Maurer, 2007. "Modelling socioeconomic and health determinants of health-care use: a semiparametric approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(9), pages 967-979.
- D. Fabbri & C. Monfardini, 2002.
"Public Vs. Private Health Care Services Demand in Italy,"
457, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Daniele Fabbri & Chiara Monfardini, 2003. "Public vs. Private Health Care Services Demand in Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 62(1), pages 93-123, April.
- James Banks & Michael Marmot & Zoe Oldfield & James P. Smith, 2009.
"The SES Health Gradient on Both Sides of the Atlantic,"
in: Developments in the Economics of Aging, pages 359-406
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Banks & Michael Marmot & Zoe Oldfield & James P. Smith, 2006. "The SES Health Gradient on Both Sides of the Atlantic," NBER Working Papers 12674, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Banks & Michael Marmot & Zoë Oldfield & James Smith, 2007. "The SES health gradient on both sides of the Atlantic," IFS Working Papers W07/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Banks, James & Marmot, Michael & Oldfield, Zoë & Smith, James P., 2007. "The SES Health Gradient on Both Sides of the Atlantic," IZA Discussion Papers 2539, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James Banks & Michael Marmot & Zo� Oldfield & James P. Smith, 2007. "The SES Health Gradient on Both Sides of the Atlantic," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 175, McMaster University.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter C. Smith, 2008. "Variability in healthcare treatment costs amongst nine EU countries - results from the Health BASKET project," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(S1), pages S1-S8.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003.
"Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
374, OECD Publishing.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003. "Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience," OECD Health Working Papers 9, OECD Publishing.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José M. Labeaga & Maite Martínez-Granado, 2003.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Demand for Physician Services Across the European Union,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2003/45, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & José Labeaga & Maite Martínez-Granado, 2004. "An empirical analysis of the demand for physician services across the European Union," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 150-165, May.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2006:i:83-84:p:10 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:apltrx:0193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.