From guests to hosts: immigrant-native wage differentials in Spain
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to analyse immigrant-native wage differentials in Spain. Design/methodology/approach - The paper exploits the Findings - The paper finds that, in absolute terms, the latter component grows across the wage distribution, reflecting the existence of a kind of glass ceiling, consistent with the evidence of over-education found in previous research. Originality/value - The paper for the first time explores earnings differentials between immigrant and Spanish workers using a nationally representative database. In addition, standard errors are computed in order to determine if the gaps are statistically significant, a task not addressed by previous works. Finally, the work is relevant as Spain has become a host country only a few years ago.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/ijm.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Worswick, C. & Beach, C.M., 1990.
"Is There a Double-Negative Effect on the Earnings of Immigrant Women?,"
1990-6, Queen's at Kingston - Sch. of Indus. Relat. Papers in Industrial Relations.
- Charles M. Beach & Christopher Worswick, 1993. "Is There a Double-Negative Effect on the Earnings of Immigrant Women?," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 19(1), pages 36-53, March.
- Cristina Fernández & Ana Carolina Ortega Masagué, 2006.
"Labor Market Assimilation of Immigrants in Spain: Employment at the Expense of Bad Job-Matches?,"
- Cristina Fernández & Carolina Ortega, 2008. "Labor market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 83-107, June.
- Fernandez, Cristina & Ortega, Carolina, 2006. "Labour market assimilation of immigrants in Spain: employment at the expense of bad job-matches?," IESE Research Papers D/644, IESE Business School.
- Hipólito Simón & Esteban Sanromá & Raúl Ramos, 2008. "Labour segregation and immigrant and native-born wage distributions in Spain: an analysis using matched employer–employee data," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 135-168, June.
- Budria, Santiago & Moro-Egido, Ana, 2004.
"Education, Educational Mismatch, and Wage Inequality: Evidence for Spain,"
93, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Budría, Santiago & Moro-Egido, Ana I., 2008. "Education, educational mismatch, and wage inequality: Evidence for Spain," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 332-341, June.
- Antón, José-Ignacio & Carrera, Miguel & Muñoz de Bustillo, Rafael, 2009. "How are you doing in your grandpa’s country? Labour market performance of Latin American immigrants in Spain," MPRA Paper 15051, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carrasco, Raquel & Ortega, Ana Carolina & Jimeno, Juan F., 2004.
"The effect of immigration on the employment opportunities of native-born workers : some evidence for Spain,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
we046122, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Raquel Carrasco & Juan Ramón García & Ana Carolina Ortega, "undated". "The Effect of Immigration on the Employment Opportunities of Native-Born Workers: Some Evidence for Spain," Working Papers 2004-17, FEDEA.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:8:y:1973:i:4:p:436-455 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jim Albrecht & Aico van Vuuren & Susan Vroman, 2007.
"Counterfactual Distributions with Sample Selection Adjustments: Econometric Theory and an Application to the Netherlands,"
gueconwpa~07-07-06, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Albrecht, James & van Vuuren, Aico & Vroman, Susan, 2009. "Counterfactual distributions with sample selection adjustments: Econometric theory and an application to the Netherlands," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 383-396, August.
- Barry R. Chiswick & Anh T. Le & Paul W. Miller, 2008. "How Immigrants Fare across the Earnings Distribution in Australia and the United States," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 61(3), pages 353-373, April.
- Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline, 2009.
"Do immigrants work in riskier jobs?,"
0901, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes & Sara de la Rica, 2007.
"Labour Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain,"
British Journal of Industrial Relations,
London School of Economics, vol. 45(2), pages 257-284, 06.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & de la Rica, Sara, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 2104, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amuedo Dorantes, Catalina & De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara, 2006. "Labor Market Assimilation of Recent Immigrants in Spain," DFAEII Working Papers 2006-01, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- James Albrecht & Anders Bjorklund & Susan Vroman, 2003.
"Is There a Glass Ceiling in Sweden?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 145-177, January.
- Barth, Erling & Dale-Olsen, Harald, 2009.
"Monopsonistic discrimination, worker turnover, and the gender wage gap,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 589-597, October.
- Barth, Erling & Dale-Olsen, Harald, 2009. "Monopsonistic Discrimination, Worker Turnover, and the Gender Wage Gap," IZA Discussion Papers 3930, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, October.
- Raquel Carrasco & Juan Jimeno & A. Ortega, 2008. "The effect of immigration on the labor market performance of native-born workers: some evidence for Spain," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 627-648, July.
- José Mata & José A. F. Machado, 2005. "Counterfactual decomposition of changes in wage distributions using quantile regression," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 445-465.
- Kenneth J. Arrow, 1998. "What Has Economics to Say about Racial Discrimination?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 91-100, Spring.
- Husted, Leif & Skyt Nielsen, Helena & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000.
"Hit Twice? Danish Evidence on the Double-Negative Effect on the Wages of Immigrant Women,"
CLS Working Papers
00-6, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Nielsen, Helena S & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000. "Hit Twice? Danish Evidence on the Double-Negative Effect on the Wages of Immigrant Women," CEPR Discussion Papers 2502, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Husted, L. & Nielsen, H.S. & Rosholm, M. & Smith, N., 2000. "Hit Twice? Danish Evidence on the Double-Negative Effect on the Wages of Immigrant Women," Papers 00-06, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Javier Gardeazabal & Arantza Ugidos, 2005. "Gender wage discrimination at quantiles," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 18(1), pages 165-179, 07.
- González, Libertad & Ortega, Francesc, 2011. "How do very open economies adjust to large immigration flows? Evidence from Spanish regions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 57-70, January.
- Melly, Blaise, 2005. "Decomposition of differences in distribution using quantile regression," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 577-590, August.
- Hunt, Priscillia, 2008. "Are immigrants so stuck to the floor that the ceiling is irrelevant?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 838, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mats Hammarstedt & Ghazi Shukur, 2006. "Immigrants' Relative Earnings in Sweden - A Cohort Analysis," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijmpps:v:31:y:2010:i:6:p:645-659. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.