Hit Twice? Danish Evidence on the Double-Negative Effect on the Wages of Immigrant Women
In this paper, we investigate whether there is a double-negative effect on the wages of immigrant women in Denmark stemming from a negative effect from both gender and foreign country of origin. We estimate separate wage equations for Danes and a number of immigrant groups correcting for sample selection and individual specific effects. Based on a Danish panel of register data, we find that all women are affected by a substantial gender discrimination in wages, but only Pakistani women experience a double-negative effect.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Revised ed. published as a IZA working paper in 2001.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Aarhus School of Business, Prismet, Silkeborgvej 2, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark|
Phone: +45 89 48 66 88
Fax: + 45 86 15 01 88
Web page: http://www.cls.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Beach & Christopher Worswick, 1993.
"Is There a Double-Negative Effect on the Earnings of Immigrant Women?,"
Canadian Public Policy,
University of Toronto Press, vol. 19(1), pages 36-53, March.
- Worswick, C. & Beach, C.M., 1990. "Is There a Double-Negative Effect on the Earnings of Immigrant Women?," Papers 1990-6, Queen's at Kingston - Sch. of Indus. Relat. Papers in Industrial Relations.
- Husted, Leif & Nielsen, Helena Skyt & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000.
"Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark,"
IZA Discussion Papers
101, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Husted, L. & Nielsen, H.S. & Rosholm, M. & Smith, N., 2000. "Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark," Papers 00-01, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Husted, Leif & Skyt Nielsen, Helena & Rosholm, Michael & Smith, Nina, 2000. "Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark," CLS Working Papers 00-1, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Nijman, Theo & Verbeek, Marno, 1992. "Nonresponse in Panel Data: The Impact on Estimates of a Life Cycle Consumption Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 243-57, July-Sept.
- Borjas, George J, 1987.
"Self-Selection and the Earnings of Immigrants,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 531-53, September.
- Long, James E, 1980. "The Effect of Americanization on Earnings: Some Evidence for Women," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(3), pages 620-29, June.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Nijman, T.E. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1992. "Non-response in panel data : The impact on estimates of a life cycle consumption function," Other publications TiSEM 3c661e33-2cd1-47f1-a7d9-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jensen, Peter & Rosholm, Michael & Verner, Mette, 2002.
"A Comparison of Different Estimators for Panel Data Sample Selection Models,"
02-1, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Peter Jensen & Michael Rosholm & Mette Verner, . "A Comparison of Different Estimators for Panel Data Sample Selection Models," Economics Working Papers 2002-1, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Mark C. Regets & Harriet Orcutt Duleep, 1999. "Immigrants and Human-Capital Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 186-191, May.
- Grossman, Jean Baldwin, 1984. " The Occupational Attainment of Immigrant Women in Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 337-51.
- Abul Shamsuddin, 1998. "Thedouble-negativeeffect onthe earnings of foreign-born females in Canada," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(9), pages 1187-1201.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:aarcls:2000_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.