Employment and Wage Assimilation of Male First Generation Immigrants in Denmark
data sets covering the population of immigrants and 10% of the Danish population during 1984-1995. Wages and employment probabilities are estimated jointly in a random effects model which corrects for unobserved cohort and individual effects and panel selectivity due to missing wage information. The results show that immigrants assimilate partially to Danes, but the assimilation process differs between refugees and non-refugees.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Published in: International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 22, 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +45 89 48 66 88
Fax: + 45 86 15 01 88
Web page: http://www.cls.dk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul W. Miller & Barry R. Chiswick, 2002.
"Immigrant earnings: Language skills, linguistic concentrations and the business cycle,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 31-57.
- Barry R. Chiswick & Paul W. Miller, 1999. "Immigrant Earnings: Language Skills, Linguistic Concentrations and the Business Cycle," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 152, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Dustmann, Christian, 1999.
" Temporary Migration, Human Capital, and Language Fluency of Migrants,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(2), pages 297-314, June.
- Christian Dustmann, 1996. "Temporary Migration, Human capital and Language Fluency of Migrants," Discussion Papers 96-21 ISSN 1350-6722, University College London, Department of Economics.
- Dustmann, Christian, 1996. "Temporary Migration, Human Capital, and Language Fluency of Migrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 1376, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong-Wha, 1993.
"International comparisons of educational attainment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 363-394, December.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 1993. "International Comparisons of Educational Attainment," NBER Working Papers 4349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas, 1987.
"Self-Selection and the Earnings of Immigrants,"
NBER Working Papers
2248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Verbeek, M. & Nijman, T., 1990.
"Testing For Selectivity Bias In Panel Data Models,"
9018, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Dustmann, Christian, 1994.
"Speaking Fluency, Writing Fluency and Earnings of Migrants,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 133-56.
- Dustmann, Christian, 1994. "Speaking Fluency, Writing Fluency and Earnings of Migrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 905, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nijman, T.E. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1992. "Testing for selectivity in panel data models," Other publications TiSEM 7ec34a6c-1d84-4052-971c-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- George J. Borjas, 1998.
"Immigration and Welfare Magnets,"
NBER Working Papers
6813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Wise, David A, 1979. "Attrition Bias in Experimental and Panel Data: The Gary Income Maintenance Experiment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 455-73, March.
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul W, 1995. "The Endogeneity between Language and Earnings: International Analyses," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 246-88, April.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Francis Vella, 1998. "Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 127-169.
- Barry R. Chiswick & Yinon Cohen & Tzippi Zach, 1997. "The labor market status of immigrants: Effects of the unemployment rate at arrival and duration of residence," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 50(2), pages 289-303, January.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Christian Dustmann & Arthur Van Soest, 2002.
"Language and the earnings of immigrants,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(3), pages 473-492, April.
- Vella, F. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1994. "Two-step estimation of simultaneous equation panel data models with censored endogenous variables," Discussion Paper 1994-55, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ekaterini Kyriazidou, 1997. "Estimation of a Panel Data Sample Selection Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1335-1364, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:aarcls:2000_001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.