Immigration and Social Benefits in a Mediterranean Welfare State: The Case of Spain
The aim of this paper is to explore the impact of immigration on the Spanish Welfare State nowadays. Using two different household surveys, both the reception of state cash transfers and the use of public health care insurance by nationals and immigrants are analysed. Controlling by observable socio-demographic characteristics, we find that immigrants receive fewer cash transfers than locals and do not exhibit a statistically significant higher use of health care services than nationals. The nature of the Spanish Welfare State compared to its European correlates and the age composition of the immigrant population, concentrated in active age, can help to explain these findings.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Blake & Les Mayhew, 2006. "On The Sustainability of the UK State Pension System in the Light of Population Ageing and Declining Fertility," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(512), pages F286-F305, 06.
- George J. Borjas, 1995.
"The Economic Benefits from Immigration,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 3-22, Spring.
- Bird, Edward J. & Kayser, Hilke & Frick, Joachim R. & Wagner, Gert G., 1999. "The Immigrant Welfare Effect: Take-Up or Eligibility?," IZA Discussion Papers 66, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Banting, Keith & Kymlicka, Will (ed.), 2006. "Multiculturalism and the Welfare State: Recognition and Redistribution in Contemporary Democracies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199289189, December.
- José Ignacio García Pérez & Victoria Osuna Padilla & Guadalupe Valera Blanes, 2004. "La inmigración y su efecto en las finanzas públicas andaluzas," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/41, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Timothy J. Hatton & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2008. "Global Migration and the World Economy: Two Centuries of Policy and Performance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582775.
- Hansen, Jörgen & Löfström, Magnus, 2000.
"Immigrant Assimilation And Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into Or Out Of Welfare?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2430, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jorgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2003. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out of Welfare?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- JÃ¶rgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2010. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare," Working Papers id:2647, eSocialSciences.
- Hansen, Jörgen & Lofstrom, Magnus, 1999. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare," IZA Discussion Papers 100, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jan Ekberg, 1999. "Immigration and the public sector: Income effects for the native population in Sweden," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 12(3), pages 411-430.
- Bover, Olympia & Velilla, Pilar, 1999.
"Migration in Spain: Historical Background and Current Trends,"
IZA Discussion Papers
88, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olympia Bover & Pilar Velilla, 1999. "Migrations in Spain: Historical Background and Current Trends," Working Papers 9909, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Tim Krieger, 2008.
"Public pensions and return migration,"
Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 163-178, March.
- M. Dolores Collado & Iñigo Iturbe Ormaetxe & Guadalupe Valera, 2002.
"Quantifying The Impact Of Immigration On The Spanish Welfare State,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2002-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- M. Dolores Collado & IÒigo Iturbe-Ormaetxe & Guadalupe Valera, 2004. "Quantifying the Impact of Immigration on the Spanish Welfare State," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 335-353, 05.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen J. Trejo, 1991.
"Immigrant Participation in the Welfare System,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(2), pages 195-211, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13849. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.