Minimum Wages and Employment in China
Since China promulgated new minimum wage regulations in 2004, the magnitude and frequency of changes in the minimum wage have been substantial, both over time and across jurisdictions. This paper uses county-level minimum wage panel data and a longitudinal household survey from 16 representative provinces to estimate the employment effects of minimum wage changes in China over the period of 2004 to 2009. In contrast to the mixed results of previous studies using provincial-level data, we present evidence that minimum wage changes have significant adverse effects on employment in the Eastern and Central regions of China, and result in disemployment for females, young adults, and low-skilled workers.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: IZA Journal of Labor Policy, 2015, 4:22, 1-30|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burkhauser, Richard V & Couch, Kenneth A & Wittenburg, David C, 2000. "A Reassessment of the New Economics of the Minimum Wage Literature with Monthly Data from the Current Population Survey," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(4), pages 653-80, October.
- Jonathan Meer & Jeremy West, 2015.
"Effects of the Minimum Wage on Employment Dynamics,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
15-233, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Jonathan Meer & Jeremy West, 2016. "Effects of the Minimum Wage on Employment Dynamics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 51(2), pages 500-522.
- Jonathan Meer & Jeremy West, 2013. "Effects of the Minimum Wage on Employment Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 19262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- MartÃn Rama, 2001.
"The Consequences of Doubling the Minimum Wage: The Case of Indonesia,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 54(4), pages 864-881, July.
- Rama, Martin, 1996. "The consequences of doubling the minimum wage : the case of Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1643, The World Bank.
- Michele Campolieti & Tony Fang & Morley Gunderson, 2003. "How Minimum Wages Affect Schooling-Employment Outcomes in Canada, 1993-1999," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 26(3), pages 533-545, August.
- Mark B. Stewart, 2004. "The employment effects of the national minimum wage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(494), pages C110-C116, 03.
- Jinlan Ni & Guangxin Wang & Xianguo Yao, 2011. "Impact of Minimum Wages on Employment," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(1), pages 18-38, January.
- Bhorat, Haroon & Kanbur, Ravi & Mayet, Natasha, 2011.
"A Note On Measuring The Depth Of Minimum Wage Violation,"
126533, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Haroon Bhorat & Ravi Kanbur & Natasha Mayet, 2013. "A Note on Measuring the Depth of Minimum Wage Violation," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 27(2), pages 192-197, 06.
- David Card & Alan B. Krueger, 1993.
"Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania,"
NBER Working Papers
4509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & Krueger, Alan B, 1994. "Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast-Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 772-93, September.
- Alan B. Krueger & David Card, 2000. "Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast-Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1397-1420, December.
- Wendy Cunningham, 2007. "Minimum Wages and Social Policy : Lessons from Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6760, August.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1992. "Employment Effects of Minimum and Subminimum Wages: Panel Data on State Minimum Wage Laws," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 55-81, October.
- Jing Wang & Morley Gunderson, 2012. "Minimum wage effects on employment and wages: dif-in-dif estimates from eastern China," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(8), pages 860-876, July.
- Baker, Michael & Benjamin, Dwayne & Stanger, Shuchita, 1999. "The Highs and Lows of the Minimum Wage Effect: A Time-Series Cross-Section Study of the Canadian Law," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 318-50, April.
- Khamis, Melanie, 2008.
"Does the Minimum Wage Have a Higher Impact on the Informal than on the Formal Labor Market? Evidence from Quasi-Experiments,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3911, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Melanie Khamis, 2013. "Does the minimum wage have a higher impact on the informal than on the formal labour market? Evidence from quasi-experiments," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(4), pages 477-495, February.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 2008. "Minimum Wages," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262141027.
- Dube, Andrajit & Lester, T. William & Reich, Michael, 2010.
"Minimum Wage Effects Across State Borders: Estimates Using Contiguous Counties,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt86w5m90m, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Arindrajit Dube & T. William Lester & Michael Reich, 2010. "Minimum Wage Effects Across State Borders: Estimates Using Contiguous Counties," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(4), pages 945-964, November.
- Huang, Yi & Loungani, Prakash & Wang, Gewei, 2014.
"Minimum wages and firm employment: evidence from China,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
173, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Yi Huang & Prakash Loungani & Gewei Wang & Prakash Loungani & Gewei Wang, 2014. "Minimum Wage and Firm Employment: Evidence from China," IHEID Working Papers 08-2014, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Yi Huang & Prakash Loungani & Gewei Wang, 2014. "Minimum Wages and Firm Employment; Evidence from China," IMF Working Papers 14/184, International Monetary Fund.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 1995.
"Minimum wage effects on school and work transitions of teenagers,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William, 1995. "Minimum-Wage Effects on School and Work Transitions of Teenagers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 244-49, May.
- Zadia M. Feliciano, 1998. "Does the Minimum Wage Affect Employment in Mexico?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 24(2), pages 165-180, Spring.
- Jing Wang & Morley Gunderson, 2011. "Minimum Wage Impacts In China: Estimates From A Prespecified Research Design, 2000–2007," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(3), pages 392-406, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.