A Note On Measuring The Depth Of Minimum Wage Violation
In the empirical literature on minimum wage enforcement, the standard approach is to measure the number of violations, not their depth. In this paper we present a family of violation indices which, by analogy with poverty indices, can emphasize the depth of violation to different degrees. The standard measure is a special case of this family of indices, but other members of the family highlight the depth of violation. We present an application to South Africa to show that the depth of violation matters, and is not captured by the standard measure in actual situations.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://aem.cornell.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Strobl, Eric & Walsh, Frank, 2003.
"Minimum Wages and Compliance: The Case of Trinidad and Tobago,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(2), pages 427-50, January.
- Strobl, Eric & Walsh, Frank, 2003. "Minimum Wages and Compliance: The Case of Trinidad and Tobago," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(2), pages 427-50, January.
- Dennis Rodgers & Jo Beall & Ravi Kanbur, 2011.
"Latin American Urban Development into the 21st Century Towards a Renewed Perspective on the City,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Rodgers, Dennis & Beall, Jo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2011. "LATIN AMERICAN URBAN DEVELOPMENT INTO THE 21ST CENTURY: Towards a Renewed Perspective on the City," Working Papers 126532, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Maloney, William F. & Nunez, Jairo & Cunningham, Wendy & Fiess, Norbert & Montenegro, Claudio & Murrugarra, Edmundo & Santamaria,Mauricio & Sepulveda, Claudia, 2001.
"Measuring the impact of minimum wages : evidence from Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2597, The World Bank.
- William Maloney & Jairo Mendez, 2004. "Measuring the Impact of Minimum Wages. Evidence from Latin America," NBER Chapters, in: Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean, pages 109-130 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William F. Maloney & Jairo Nunez Mendez, 2003. "Measuring the Impact of Minimum Wages: Evidence from Latin America," NBER Working Papers 9800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas Ronconi, 2010. "Enforcement and Compliance with Labor Regulations," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(4), pages 719-736, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:cudawp:126533. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.