Is There a Gap in the Gap? Regional Differences in the Gender Pay Gap
In this paper, we investigate regional differences in the gender pay gap both theoretically and empirically. Within a spatial oligopsony model, we show that more densely populated labour markets are more competitive and constrain employers' ability to discriminate against women. Utilising a large administrative data set for western Germany and a flexible semi-parametric propensity score matching approach, we find that the unexplained gender pay gap for young workers is substantially lower in large metropolitan than in rural areas. This regional gap in the gap of roughly ten percentage points remained surprisingly constant over the entire observation period of thirty years.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 2013, 60 (4), 412-439|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Bhaskar & Ted To, 1996.
"Minimum Wages for Ronald McDonald Monopsonies: A Theory of Monopsonistic Competition,"
Labor and Demography
9603001, EconWPA, revised 21 May 1996.
- Bhaskar, V & To, Ted, 1999. "Minimum Wages for Ronald McDonald Monopsonies: A Theory of Monopsonistic Competition," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(455), pages 190-203, April.
- Dan A. Black & Amelia M. Haviland & Seth G. Sanders & Lowell J. Taylor, 2008. "Gender Wage Disparities among the Highly Educated," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(3), pages 630-659.
- Dragana Djurdjevic & Sergiy Radyakin, 2007.
"Decomposition of the Gender Wage Gap Using Matching: An Application for Switzerland,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(IV), pages 365-396, December.
- Djurdjevic, Dragana & Radyakin, Sergiy, 2005. "Decomposition of the Gender Wage Gap Using Matching: an Application for Switzerland," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 36794, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2000.
"Gender Differences in Pay,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 75-99, Fall.
- Phimister, Euan, 2004.
"Urban Effects On Participation And Wages: Are There Gender Differences?,"
31789, University of Aberdeen Business School, Centre for European Labour Market Research (CELMR).
- Phimister, Euan, 2005. "Urban effects on participation and wages: Are there gender differences?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 513-536, November.
- Robinson, Helen, 2003.
"Regional evidence on the effect of the National Minimum Wage on the gender pay gap,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
176, Royal Economic Society.
- Helen Robinson, 2005. "Regional evidence on the effect of the national minimum wage on the gender pay gap," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(7), pages 855-872.
- Nopo, Hugo, 2004.
"Matching as a Tool to Decompose Wage Gaps,"
IZA Discussion Papers
981, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bowlus, A.J., 1995.
"A Search Interpretation of Male-Female Wage Differentials,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9504, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Bowlus, Audra J, 1997. "A Search Interpretation of Male-Female Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(4), pages 625-57, October.
- Altonji, Joseph G. & Blank, Rebecca M., 1999.
"Race and gender in the labor market,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 48, pages 3143-3259
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Aderonke Osikominu & Robert Völter, 2006.
"Imputation Rules to Improve the Education Variable in the IAB Employment Subsample,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 126(3), pages 405-436.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Völter, Robert, 2005. "Imputation Rules to Improve the Education Variable in the IAB Employment Subsample," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-10, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Osikominu, Aderonke & Völter, Robert, 2005. "Imputation rules to improve the education variable in the IAB employment subsample," FDZ Methodenreport 200503_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 1982. "A Robinsonian Approach to Discrimination," Munich Reprints in Economics 3351, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Capozza, Dennis R & Van Order, Robert, 1978. "A Generalized Model of Spatial Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Paulo R.A. Loureiro & Francisco Galrão Carneiro & Adolfo Sachsida, 2004. "Race and gender discrimination in the labor market: an urban and rural sector analysis for Brazil," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 129-143, May.
- Anne Busch & Elke Holst, 2008. ""Gender Pay Gap": in Großstädten geringer als auf dem Land," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 75(33), pages 462-468.
- Michael Bradfield, 1990. "Long-run Equilibrium under Pure Monopsony," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(3), pages 700-704, August.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521315647 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joni Hersch & Leslie S. Stratton, 1997. "Housework, Fixed Effects, and Wages of Married Workers," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(2), pages 285-307.
- Markus Fr�lich, 2007. "Propensity score matching without conditional independence assumption--with an application to the gender wage gap in the United Kingdom," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(2), pages 359-407, 07.
- Boris Hirsch, 2009. "The Gender Pay Gap Under Duopsony: Joan Robinson Meets Harold Hotelling," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(5), pages 543-558, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.