Regional evidence on the effect of the National Minimum Wage on the gender pay gap
We study the evidence of change in the gender wage gap across regions around the introduction of the National Minimum Wage (NMW) in Britain. As the proportion of low paid workers continued to vary across British regions, so did the relative share of men and women paid below the NMW before its introduction. This variation provides a "quasi" natural experiment with which to try and measure the effect of the introduction of the NMW. Using difference-in-differences type estimation, we conclude that there is variation in the narrowing of the overall gender pay gap across regions, consistent with regional differences in the incidence and magnitude of low pay.
|Date of creation:||04 Jun 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2 Dean Trench Street, Westminster, SW1P 3HE|
Phone: +44 20 3137 6301
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Dickens & Alan Manning, 2004.
"Has the national minimum wage reduced UK wage inequality?,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 167(4), pages 613-626.
- Richard Dickens & Alan Manning, 2002. "Has the national minimum wage reduced UK wage inequality?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20079, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Dickens & Alan Manning, 2002. "Has The National Minimum Wage Reduced UK Wage Inequality?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0533, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alana Gilbert & Euan Phimister & Ioannis Theodossiou, 2001. "The Potential Impact of the Minimum Wage in Rural Areas," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 765-770. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)