Regional evidence on the effect of the national minimum wage on the gender pay gap
Robinson H. (2005) Regional evidence on the effect of the National Minimum Wage on the gender pay gap, Regional Studies 39 , 855-872. This paper provides evidence on employment rates and the extent of the change in the gender wage gap across regions around the introduction of the National Minimum Wage (NMW). The variation in the proportions of low-paid workers across Britain provides a 'quasi' natural experiment with which to try and measure the effect of the introduction of the NMW. All things being equal, if women are over-represented amongst the low paid, and the proportion of low-paid workers varies across regions, one might expect to see the introduction of the NMW narrowing the overall gender pay gap by varying degrees across the country. Using difference-in-differences-type estimation on Labour Force Survey data, it is concluded that there is variation in the limited narrowing of the overall gender pay gap across regions, consistent with regional differences in the incidence and magnitude of low pay.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Dickens & Alan Manning, 2002.
"Has The National Minimum Wage Reduced UK Wage Inequality?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0533, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Dickens & Alan Manning, 2004. "Has the national minimum wage reduced UK wage inequality?," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 167(4), pages 613-626.
- Richard Dickens & Alan Manning, 2002. "Has the national minimum wage reduced UK wage inequality?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20079, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004.
"How Much Should We Trust Differences-In-Differences Estimates?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 249-275.
- Marianne Bertrand & Esther Duflo & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "How Much Should We Trust Differences-in-Differences Estimates?," NBER Working Papers 8841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alana Gilbert & Euan Phimister & Ioannis Theodossiou, 2001. "The Potential Impact of the Minimum Wage in Rural Areas," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 765-770.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:7:p:855-872. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.