Crude Oil Prices and the Euro-Dollar Exchange Rate: A Forecasting Exercise
If oil exporters stabilize the purchasing power of their export revenues in terms of imports, exchange rate developments (and particularly, developments in the US dollar/euro exchange rate) may contain information about oil price changes. This hypothesis depends on three conditions: (a) OPEC has price setting capacity, (b) a high share of OPEC imports comes from the euro area and (c) alternatives to oil invoicing in US dollar are costly. We give evidence that using information on the US dollar/euro exchange rate (and its determinants) improves oil price forecasts significantly. We discuss possible implications that these results might suggest with regard to the stabilization of oil prices or the adjustment of global imbalances.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstraße 15, A - 6020 Innsbruck|
Web page: http://www.uibk.ac.at/fakultaeten/volkswirtschaft_und_statistik/index.html.en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin G. Kocher & Todd L. Cherry & Stephan Kroll & Robert J. Netzer & Matthias Sutter, 2007.
"Conditional cooperation on three continents,"
2007-02, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Paul A. Raschky & Manijeh Schwindt, 2016.
"Aid, Catastrophes and the Samaritan's Dilemma,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 83(332), pages 624-645, October.
- Hanke, Michael & Huber, Jürgen & Kirchler, Michael & Sutter, Matthias, 2010.
"The economic consequences of a Tobin tax--An experimental analysis,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 58-71, May.
- Michael Hanke & J?rgen Huber & Michael Kirchler & Matthias Sutter, 2007. "The economic consequences of a Tobin tax - An experimental analysis," Working Papers 2007-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1994.
"The Macroeconomic Determinants of Commodity Prices,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(2), pages 236-261, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Borensztein, Eduardo, 1994. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Commodity Prices," MPRA Paper 6979, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Commodity Prices," IMF Working Papers 94/9, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin G. Kocher & Ganna Pogrebna & Matthias Sutter, "undated". "The Determinants of Managerial Decisions Under Risk," Working Papers 2008-04, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Andrea M. Leiter & Harald Oberhofer & Paul A. Raschky, "undated". "Productive disasters? Evidence from European firm level data," Working Papers 2007-25, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Yousefi, Ayoub & Wirjanto, Tony S., 2004. "The empirical role of the exchange rate on the crude-oil price formation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 783-799, September.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Neil Foster & Johann Scharler, 2007. "Barriers to Technology Adoption, International R&D Spillovers and Growth," Working Papers 2007-09, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inn:wpaper:2008-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janette Walde)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.