External vulnerabilities and economic integration. Is the Union of South American Nations a promising project ?
This article addresses the reactions of the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) economies to external shocks. Unlike the existing economic integration projects, the UNASUR was conceived as a political alliance. Because the recent euro debt crisis con rmed the importance of political agreement for economic integration, the South American plan is likely to be promising. However, economic and political aspects must go hand in hand for an integration project to succeed. Thus, assessing the UNASUR from an economic perspective is essential. Using a structural vector autoregression (SVAR) approach, this paper measures the impact of three external shocks (monetary, commercial and nancial) in the real, monetary and fi scal economic sector of seven UNASUR economies, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela, and detects for co-movement paths. The results reveal a non-negligible current synchronization level across the studied economies, con rm their high external vulnerability and identify mutual weaknesses to overcome.
|Date of creation:||11 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00945044|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sims, Christopher A & Uhlig, Harald, 1991.
"Understanding Unit Rooters: A Helicopter Tour,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1591-99, November.
- Christopher A. Sims & Harald Uhlig, 1988. "Understanding unit rooters: a helicopter tour," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 4, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1995.
"Error bands for impulse responses,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
95-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2012. "Implications of the Euro's crisis for international monetary reform," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 541-548.
- Devereux, Michael B., 2004. "Monetary policy rules and exchange rate flexibility in a simple dynamic general equilibrium model," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 287-308, June.
- Paul Collier & Benedikt Goderis, 2008.
"Commodity Prices and Growth: An empirical investigation,"
OxCarre Working Papers
014, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Collier, Paul & Goderis, Benedikt, 2012. "Commodity prices and growth: An empirical investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1241-1260.
- André Sapir, 2011.
"European Integration at the Crossroads: A Review Essay on the 50th Anniversary of Bela Balassa's Theory of Economic Integration,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1200-1229, December.
- André Sapir, 2011. "European Integration at the Crossroads: A Review Essay on the 50 th Anniversary of Bela Balassa’s Theory of Economic Integration," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174292, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Nishigaki, Hideki, 2009. "How will the related variables change if global imbalances unwind?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 206-212, January.
- Kim, Soyoung & Roubini, Nouriel, 2000. "Exchange rate anomalies in the industrial countries: A solution with a structural VAR approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 561-586, June.
- Andrade, Joaquim Pinto de & Silva, Maria Luiza Falcao & Trautwein, Hans-Michael, 2005. "Disintegrating effects of monetary policies in the MERCOSUR," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 65-89, March.
- Carvalho, Alexandre & Moura, Marcelo L., 2008.
"What Can Taylor Rules Say About Monetary Policy in Latin America?,"
Insper Working Papers
wpe_126, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Moura, Marcelo L. & de Carvalho, Alexandre, 2010. "What can Taylor rules say about monetary policy in Latin America?," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 392-404, March.
- Ahmed, Shaghil, 2003. "Sources of economic fluctuations in Latin America and implications for choice of exchange rate regimes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 181-202, October.
- Fabio Canova, 2003.
"The transmission of US shocks to Latin America,"
Economics Working Papers
925, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2004.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 2007.
"Capital controls, capital flow contractions, and macroeconomic vulnerability,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 814-840, September.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2007. "Capital Controls, Capital Flow Contractions, and Macroeconomic Vulnerability," NBER Working Papers 12852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten & Koopmann, Georg, 2006. "Between two poles: A dual currency board for Mercosur," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 349-362, December.
- Barbara Kotschwar & Theodore H. Moran & Julia Muir, 2012. "Chinese Investment in Latin American Resources: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," Working Paper Series WP12-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Reynolds, Douglas B. & Pippenger, Michael K., 2010. "OPEC and Venezuelan oil production: Evidence against a cartel hypothesis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 6045-6055, October.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "No Single Currency Regime is Right for All Countries or At All Times," NBER Working Papers 7338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leandro Medina, 2010. "The Dynamic Effects of Commodity Prices on Fiscal Performance in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 10/192, International Monetary Fund.
- Makin, Anthony J., 2013. "Commodity prices and the macroeconomy: An extended dependent economy approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 80-88.
- Molina-Domene, María A. & Pietrobelli, Carlo, 2012. "Drivers of technological capabilities in developing countries: An econometric analysis of Argentina, Brazil and Chile," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 504-515.
- Lee, Grace H.Y. & Koh, Sharon G.M., 2012. "The prospects of a monetary union in East Asia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 96-102.
- Jordi Galí, 1992. "How Well Does The IS-LM Model Fit Postwar U. S. Data?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 709-738.
- Bewley, Ronald, 2002. "Forecast accuracy, coefficient bias and Bayesian vector autoregressions," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 163-169.
- Céline Gimet, 2007. "Conditions necessary for the sustainability of an emerging area: the importance of banking and financial regional criteria," Post-Print halshs-00356066, HAL.
- Bruneau, Catherine & De Bandt, Olivier, 2003. "Monetary and fiscal policy in the transition to EMU: what do SVAR models tell us?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 959-985, September.
- Jiménez-Rodríguez, Rebeca & Morales-Zumaquero, Amalia & Égert, Balázs, 2010. "The effect of foreign shocks in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 461-477, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00945044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.