Capital Flows and Controls in Brazil: What Have We Learned?
In: Capital Controls and Capital Flows in Emerging Economies: Policies, Practices and Consequences
This paper analyzes the relationship between capital account liberalization and macroeconomic volatility using Brazil as a case study. The paper provides several stylized facts regarding the evolution of capital flows and controls in Brazil in the last three decades. We conclude that, notwithstanding the financial crises and macroeconomic volatility of the recent past, capital account liberalization and the floating exchange regime have led to a more resilient economy. Further liberalization of the capital account is warranted and should be accompanied by a broad range of reforms to improve and foster stronger institutions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number
0153.||Handle:|| RePEc:nbr:nberch:0153||Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eliana Cardoso & Ilan Goldfajn, 1998.
"Capital Flows to Brazil: The Endogeneity of Capital Controls,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 161-202, March.
- Eliane A. Cardoso & Ilan Goldfajn, 1997. "Capital Flows to Brazil-The Endogeneity of Capital Controls," IMF Working Papers 97/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"The intertemporal approach to the current account,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 34, pages 1731-1799
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1994. "The Intertemporal Approach to the Current Account," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C94-044, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1994. "The Intertemporal Approach to the Current Account," NBER Working Papers 4893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry P. Bosworth & Susan M. Collins, 1999. "Capital Flows to Developing Economies: Implications for Saving and Investment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 30(1), pages 143-180.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2005.
"Capital Controls, Sudden Stops and Current Account Reversals,"
NBER Working Papers
11170, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2007. "Capital Controls, Sudden Stops, and Current Account Reversals," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Controls and Capital Flows in Emerging Economies: Policies, Practices and Consequences, pages 73-120 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Akira Ariyoshi & Andrei Kirilenko & Inci Ã–tker & Bernard Laurens & Jorge IvÃ¡n Canales Kriljenko & Karl Friedrich Habermeier, 2000. "Capital Controls; Country Experiences with Their Use and Liberalization," IMF Occasional Papers 190, International Monetary Fund.
- Garcia, Marcio G. P. & Barcinski, Alexandre, 1998.
"Capital Flows to Brazil in the Nineties: Macroeconomic Aspects and the Effectiveness of Capital Controls,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 1), pages 319-357.
- Marcio G. P. Garcia & Alexandre Barcinski, 1996. "Capital flows to Brazil in the nineties: Macroeconomic aspects and the effectiveness of capital controls," Textos para discussão 357, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, June.
- Fernando Ferrari-Filho & Frederico G. Jayme Jr & Gilberto Tadeu Lima & José Luís Oreiro & Luiz Fernando de Paula, 2004. "Uma avaliação crítica da proposta de conversibilidade plena do real," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG td235, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Márcio gomes Pinto Garcia & Marcus Vinicius Ferrero Valpassos, 1998. "Capital flows, capital controls and currency crisis: the case of Brazil in the nineties," Textos para discussão 389, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Gustavo Barroso Franco & Demosthenes Madureira de Pinho Neto, 2004. "A desregulamentação da conta de capitais: limitações macroeconômicas e regulatórias," Textos para discussão 479, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberch:0153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.