Adoption of energy-efficiency measures in SMEs - An empirical analysis based on energy audit data
This paper empirically investigates the factors driving the adoption of energy-efficiency measures by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Our analyses are based on cross-sectional data from SMEs which participated in a German energy audit program between 2008 and 2010. In general, our findings appear robust to alternative model specifications and are consistent with the theoretical and still scarce empirical literature on barriers to energy efficiency in SMEs. More specifically, high investment costs, which are captured by subjective and objective proxies, appear to impede the adoption of energy-efficient measures, even if these measures are deemed profitable. Similarly, we find that lack of capital slows the adoption of energy-efficient measures, primarily for larger investments. Hence, investment subsidies or soft loans (for larger invest-ments) may help accelerating the diffusion of energy-efficiency measures in SMEs. Other barriers were not found to be statistically significant. Finally, our findings provide evidence that the quality of energy audits affects the adoption of energy-efficiency measures. Hence, effective regulation should involve quality standards for energy au-dits, templates for audit reports or mandatory monitoring of energy audits.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Publication status:||Published in Energy Policy, Elsevier, 2012, 51, pp.863-875|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00805748|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hunt Allcott & Michael Greenstone, 2012.
"Is There an Energy Efficiency Gap?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 3-28, Winter.
- Hunt Allcott & Michael Greenstone, 2012. "Is There an Energy Efficiency Gap?," NBER Working Papers 17766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jochem, Eberhard & Gruber, Edelgard, 1990. "Obstacles to rational electricity use and measures to alleviate them," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 340-350, May.
- Gruber, Edelgard & Brand, Michael, 1991. "Promoting energy conservation in small and medium-sized companies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 279-287, April.
- Brown, Marilyn A., 2001. "Market failures and barriers as a basis for clean energy policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(14), pages 1197-1207, November.
- Rohdin, Patrik & Thollander, Patrik & Solding, Petter, 2007. "Barriers to and drivers for energy efficiency in the Swedish foundry industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 672-677, January.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1979. "Rational Decision Making in Business Organizations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 493-513, September.
- Simon, Herbert A., 1978. "Rational Decision-Making in Business Organizations," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1978-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Mills, Evan, 2003. "Risk transfer via energy-savings insurance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 273-281, February.
- Kostka, Genia & Moslener, Ulf & Andreas, Jan G., 2011. "Barriers to energy efficiency improvement: Empirical evidence from small-and-medium sized enterprises in China," Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series 178, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
- Jan Velthuijsen, 1993. "Incentives for investment in energy efficiency: an econometric evaluation and policy implications," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(2), pages 153-169, April.
- Anderson, Soren T. & Newell, Richard G., 2004. "Information programs for technology adoption: the case of energy-efficiency audits," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 27-50, March.
- Newell, Richard & Anderson, Soren, 2002. "Information Programs for Technology Adoption: The Case of Energy-Efficiency Audits," Discussion Papers dp-02-58, Resources For the Future.
- Stephen J. Decanio & William E. Watkins, 1998. "Investment In Energy Efficiency: Do The Characteristics Of Firms Matter?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 95-107, February.
- Bertoldi, Paolo & Rezessy, Silvia & Lees, Eoin & Baudry, Paul & Jeandel, Alexandre & Labanca, Nicola, 2010. "Energy supplier obligations and white certificate schemes: Comparative analysis of experiences in the European Union," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 1455-1469, March.
- Trianni, A. & Cagno, E., 2012. "Dealing with barriers to energy efficiency and SMEs: Some empirical evidences," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 494-504.
- Rohdin, P. & Thollander, P., 2006. "Barriers to and driving forces for energy efficiency in the non-energy intensive manufacturing industry in Sweden," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 1836-1844.
- Garcia, Agenor Gomes Pinto & Szklo, Alexandre S. & Schaeffer, Roberto & McNeil, Michael A., 2007. "Energy-efficiency standards for electric motors in Brazilian industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3424-3439, June.
- Schleich, Joachim, 2009. "Barriers to energy efficiency: A comparison across the German commercial and services sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2150-2159, May.
- Paul C. Stern, 1986. "Blind spots in policy analysis: What economics doesn't say about energy use," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 200-227.
- Neale, James R. & Kamp, Peter J.J., 2009. "Compressed air system best practice programmes: What needs to change to secure long-term energy savings for New Zealand?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3400-3408, September.
- Thollander, Patrik & Danestig, Maria & Rohdin, Patrik, 2007. "Energy policies for increased industrial energy efficiency: Evaluation of a local energy programme for manufacturing SMEs," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5774-5783, November.
- Paul Diederen & Frank van Tongeren & Hennie van der Veen, 2003. "Returns on Investments in Energy-saving Technologies Under Energy Price Uncertainty in Dutch Greenhouse Horticulture," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(4), pages 379-394, April.
- Jaffe, Adam B. & Stavins, Robert N., 1994. "The energy-efficiency gap What does it mean?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(10), pages 804-810, October.
- Hassett, Kevin A. & Metcalf, Gilbert E., 1993. "Energy conservation investment : Do consumers discount the future correctly?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 710-716, June.
- Harris, Jane & Anderson, Jane & Shafron, Walter, 2000. "Investment in energy efficiency: a survey of Australian firms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 867-876, October.
- Horbach, Jens, 2008. "Determinants of environmental innovation--New evidence from German panel data sources," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 163-173, February.
- Rennings, Klaus & Ziegler, Andreas & Ankele, Kathrin & Hoffmann, Esther, 2006. "The influence of different characteristics of the EU environmental management and auditing scheme on technical environmental innovations and economic performance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 45-59, April.
- Aramyan, Lusine H. & Lansink, Alfons G.J.M. Oude & Verstegen, Jos A.A.M., 2007. "Factors underlying the investment decision in energy-saving systems in Dutch horticulture," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 520-527, May.
- Schleich, Joachim & Gruber, Edelgard, 2008. "Beyond case studies: Barriers to energy efficiency in commerce and the services sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 449-464, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)