Explaining entrepreneurial performance of solo self-employed from a motivational perspective
This paper investigates whether start-up motivation (opportunity versus necessity) influences entrepreneurial performance of an important subset of entrepreneurs, viz. the solo self-employed. We also explore to what extent human capital measures mediate this relation. We use a unique individual-level panel data set of solo self-employed in the Netherlands for three consecutive years (2009-2011) and construct three separate measures to identify necessitydriven solo self-employment. Our main finding confirms that necessity-driven solo self-employed perform worse than opportunity-driven solo self-employed. Furthermore, start-up motivation seems to have an isolated effect on entrepreneurial performance, considering that we also find that formal education and practical learning hardly mediate the relation. Our results imply that it is important to distinguish between different motivations within the population of solo self-employed in order to understand their entrepreneurial performance.
|Date of creation:||30 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7001, 2701 AA Zoetermeer|
Phone: (+31) 79 341 36 34
Fax: (+31) 79 341 50 24
Web page: http://www.entrepreneurship-sme.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verheul, I. & van Stel, A.J., 2007.
"Entrepreneurial Diversity and Economic Growth,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2007-070-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Das, J.W.M. & van Soest, A.H.O. & Toepoel, V., 2011. "Nonparametric tests of panel conditioning and attrition bias in panel surveys," Other publications TiSEM 76b0a827-e4b6-403d-8465-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Román, Concepción & Congregado, Emilio & Millán, José María, 2013. "Start-up incentives: Entrepreneurship policy or active labour market programme?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 151-175.
- Block, Jörn H. & Sandner, Philipp G., 2007.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data,"
Discussion Papers in Business Administration
2082, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 117-137, June.
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 191, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Reize, Frank, 2000. "Leaving unemployment for self-employment: a discrete duration analysis of determinants and stability of self-employment among former unemployed," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-26, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, June.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, June.
- Marcel Das & Vera Toepoel & Arthur van Soest, 2011. "Nonparametric Tests of Panel Conditioning and Attrition Bias in Panel Surveys," Sociological Methods & Research, , vol. 40(1), pages 32-56, February.
- Andre van Stel, .
"COMPENDIA: Harmonizing business ownership data across countries and over time,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-05, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- André van Stel, 2004. "COMPENDIA: Harmonizing business ownership data across countries and over time," Scales Research Reports N200413, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Hans J. Baumgartner & Marco Caliendo, 2008.
"Turning Unemployment into Self-Employment: Effectiveness of Two Start-Up Programmes,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(3), pages 347-373, 06.
- Baumgartner, Hans J. & Caliendo, Marco, 2007. "Turning Unemployment into Self-Employment: Effectiveness and Efficiency of Two Start-Up Programmes," IZA Discussion Papers 2660, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joan-Lluis Capelleras & Kevin F Mole & Francis J Greene & David J Storey, 2008. "Do more heavily regulated economies have poorer performing new ventures? Evidence from Britain and Spain," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(4), pages 688-704, June.
- Jean Bonnet & Domingo García Pérez-De-Lema & Howard Van Auken, 2010. "The Entrepreneurial society: how to fill the gap between knowledge and innovation," Post-Print halshs-00555032, HAL.
- Jean Bonnet & Marcus Dejardin & Antonia Madrid-Guijarro, 2012. "Toward the Entrepreneurial Society," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201231, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Concepción Román & Emilio Congregado & José Millán, 2011. "Dependent self-employment as a way to evade employment protection legislation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 363-392, October.
- Block, Joern & Wagner, Marcus, 2006.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earnings Differentials,"
610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joern H. Block & Marcus Wagner, 2010. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earning s Differentials," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 62(2), pages 154-174, April.
- Bögenhold, Dieter & Fachinger, Uwe, 2010. "How Diverse is Entrepreneurship? Observations on the social heterogeneity of self-employment in Germany," MPRA Paper 23271, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eim:papers:h201308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster EIM)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.