Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earning s Differentials
In this paper we discuss necessity and opportunity entrepreneurship. We use panel data to analyze how these two types of entrepreneurs differ in general, and in their ability to discover and exploit entrepreneurial opportunities. We find that the opportunities exploited by opportunity entrepreneurs are generally more profitable than are those exploited by necessity entrepreneurs. We also find that the determinants of success differ to a strong degree. Standard wage equations seem to work better for opportunity than for necessity entrepreneurs. Our findings indicate a need to distinguish between the two groups in entrepreneurship theory and practice.
Volume (Year): 62 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0049 89 2180 2166
Fax: 0049 89 2180 6327
Web page: http://www.sbr-online.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Strauch, Rolf R. & Wolff, Guntram B., 2002.
"East Germany: Transition with Unification ; Experiments and Experiences,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 19-2002, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Strauch, Rolf & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2000. "East Germany: Transition With Unification - Experiments and Experiences," CEPR Discussion Papers 2386, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brown, Sarah & Sessions, John G, 1998. "Education, Employment Status and Earnings: A Comparative Test of the Strong Screening Hypothesis," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(5), pages 586-91, November.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 2000.
"Business start-ups by the unemployed -- an econometric analysis based on firm data,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 629-663, September.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 1998. "Business Start-ups by the Unemployed - an Econometric Analysis Based on Firm Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bruno S. Frey & Matthias Benz, 2003.
"Being Independent is a Great Thing: Subjective Evaluations of Self-Employment and Hierarchy,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
959, CESifo Group Munich.
- Matthias Benz & Bruno S. Frey, 2008. "Being Independent is a Great Thing: Subjective Evaluations of Self-Employment and Hierarchy," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(298), pages 362-383, 05.
- Bruno S. Frey & Matthias Benz, . "Being Independent is a Great Thing: Subjective Evaluations of Self-Employment and Hierarchy," IEW - Working Papers 135, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- van der Sluis, Justin & van Praag, Mirjam C. & van Witteloostuijn, Arjen, 2007. "Why Are the Returns to Education Higher for Entrepreneurs than for Employees?," IZA Discussion Papers 3058, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Nascent Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany. Evidence from the Regional Entrepreneurship Monitor (REM)," Labor and Demography 0506004, EconWPA.
- Devine, T.J. & Kiefer, N.M., 1990.
"The Empirical Status Of Job Search Theory,"
4-90-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Barton H. Hamilton, 2000. "Does Entrepreneurship Pay? An Empirical Analysis of the Returns to Self-Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 604-631, June.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Reize, Frank, 2000. "Leaving unemployment for self-employment: a discrete duration analysis of determinants and stability of self-employment among former unemployed," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-26, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521828130 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:iza:izadps:dp624 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zoltán Ács & Attila Varga, 2005.
"Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 323-334, 02.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Attila Varga, 2004. "Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:20030046 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sbr:abstra:v:62:y:2010:i:2:p:154-174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (sbr)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask sbr to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.