East Germany: Transition with Unification ; Experiments and Experiences
East Germany remains unique among the transition economies. Soon after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, it became part of the Federal Republic of Germany. German Union meant the transplantation of West Germany's legal, administrative and economic infrastructure to the five new Länder. The paper traces the economic changes since 1989 and assesses the convergence between West and East Germany during the last decade. We reach three main conclusions: First, there has been significant convergence in the administrative and economic realm, though persistent differences remain in the level of output and incomes as well as local capacities. Third, the Kohl government's policy towards East German transition, driven by short-term electoral considerations, has focused almost entirely on financing a high standard of consumption and too little on fostering investment and economic restructuring. Third, there is, therefore, a considerable risk that East Germany will remain a transfer-dependent economy for the foreseeable future. However, endogenous institutional change in the labour market, showing its first signs in East Germany, may become important in overcoming the structural problems in the new Länder.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Walter-Flex-Straße 3, D - 53113 Bonn|
Web page: http://www.zei.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000.
"EU Enlargement, Migration, and Lessons from German Unification,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 1(3), pages 299-314, 08.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1999. "EU Enlargement, Migration, and Lessons from German Unification," CESifo Working Paper Series 182, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1999. "EU Enlargement, Migration and Lessons from German Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 2174, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1995. "Factor Price Distortions and Public Subsidies in East Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 1155, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolfgang Nierhaus, 1999. "Höhere Rentenanpassung in Ostdeutschland erforderlich ?," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(04), pages 45-51, October.
- Wolfgang Nierhaus, 1999. "Höhere Rentenanpassung in Ostdeutschland erforderlich?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 52(19), pages 20-24, October.