Leaving unemployment for self-employment: a discrete duration analysis of determinants and stability of self-employment among former unemployed
The paper investigates the determinants and the success of self-employment among former unemployed. Self-employment has become an important re-employment opportunity during the last decade due to increasing subsidies. The econometric analysis is carried out using discrete hazard rate models on 14 waves of the German Socio-Economic Panel, covering the period from 1983 to 1996. I do not find any effects of unemployment duration on the transition from unemployment to selfemployment. Moreover, unemployed people entering self-employment have higher skills than the average of the unemployed population and self-employment seems to be more stable than paid-employment would have been because people face a lower risk of becoming unemployed again.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce D. Meyer, 1988.
"Unemployment Insurance And Unemployment Spells,"
NBER Working Papers
2546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steiner, Viktor, 1997. "Extended benefit entitlement periods and the duration of unemployment in West Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-14, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1992.
"The Effect of Unemployment Compensation on Unemployment Duration in Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
50, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 1995. "The Effect of Unemployment Compensation on Unemployment Duration in Germany," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 88-120, January.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Carrasco, Raquel, 1999.
" Transitions to and from Self-employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 315-41, August.
- Carrasco, R., 1997. "Transitions to and from Self-Employment in Spain: An Empirical Analysis," Papers 9710, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 2000.
"Business start-ups by the unemployed -- an econometric analysis based on firm data,"
Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 629-663, September.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 1998. "Business Start-ups by the Unemployed - an Econometric Analysis Based on Firm Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-38, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reize, Frank, 1999. "Berufliche Weiterbildung und Existenzgründung," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Narendranathan, W & Stewart, Mark B, 1993. "How Does the Benefit Effect Vary as Unemployment Spells Lengthen?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 361-81, Oct.-Dec..
- Michael Lechner & Conny Wunsch, 2009. "Active labour market policy in East Germany," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(4), pages 661-702, October.
- José A. F. Machado & Pedro Portugal & Pedro S. Raposo, 2010. "Joblessness," Working Papers w201033, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:5309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.