Necessity Entrepreneurship and Competitive Strategy
Many start-ups chose to compete with incumbent firms using one of two generic strategies: cost leadership or differentiation. Our study demonstrates how this choice depends on whether the startup was founded out of necessity. Our results, based on a representative data set of 4,568 German start-ups, show that necessity entrepreneurs are more likely than other entrepreneurs to pursue a cost leadership strategy, and less likely to pursue a differentiation strategy. Decomposition analyses further show that up to half of the difference in choice of strategy can be attributed to distinct endowments of human capital, socio-economic attributes, and start-up project characteristics that correlate with necessity entrepreneurship.
|Date of creation:||May 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Small Business Economics, 2015, 44 (1), 37-54|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joern Block & Philipp Koellinger, 2009.
"I Can't Get No Satisfaction-Necessity Entrepreneurship and Procedural Utility,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(2), pages 191-209, 04.
- Block, J.H. & Koellinger, Ph.D., 2008. "I Can’t Get No Satisfaction - Necessity Entrepreneurship and Procedural Utility," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-051-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Joern Block & Philipp Koellinger, 2008. "I can't get no Satisfaction - Necessity Entrepreneurship and Procedural Utility," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-078/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jacques Silber & Michal Weber, 1999. "Labour market discrimination: are there significant differences between the various decomposition procedures?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 359-365.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Gohmann, Stephan F. & Fernandez, Jose M., 2014. "Proprietorship and unemployment in the United States," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 289-309.
- Paul Reynolds & Niels Bosma & Erkko Autio & Steve Hunt & Natalie De Bono & Isabel Servais & Paloma Lopez-Garcia & Nancy Chin, 2005. "Global Entrepreneurship Monitor: Data Collection Design and Implementation 1998–2003," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 205-231, 02.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Sinning, Mathias, 2006.
"An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition to Non-Linear Models,"
RWI Discussion Papers
49, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Thomas Bauer & Mathias Sinning, 2008. "An extension of the Blinder–Oaxaca decomposition to nonlinear models," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 92(2), pages 197-206, May.
- Ostgaard, Tone A. & Birley, Sue, 1994. "Personal networks and firm competitive strategy--A strategic or coincidental match?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 281-305, July.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Attila Varga, 2004.
"Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2004-06, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Zoltán Ács & Attila Varga, 2005. "Entrepreneurship, Agglomeration and Technological Change," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 323-334, 02.
- Fryges, Helmut & Gottschalk, Sandra & Kohn, Karsten, 2009.
"The KfW/ZEW start-up panel: design and research potential,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
09-053, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Helmut Fryges & Sandra Gottschalk & Karsten Kohn, 2010. "The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 130(1), pages 117-132.
- Fryges, Helmut & Gottschalk, Sandra & Kohn, Karsten, 2009. "The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential," IZA Discussion Papers 4441, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Block, Joern & Wagner, Marcus, 2006.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earnings Differentials,"
610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joern H. Block & Marcus Wagner, 2010. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earning s Differentials," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 62(2), pages 154-174, April.
- Fairlie, Robert W, 1999.
"The Absence of the African-American Owned Business: An Analysis of the Dynamics of Self-Employment,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(1), pages 80-108, January.
- Fairlie, Robert, 2014. "The Absence of the African-American Owned Business: An Analysis of the Dynamics of Self-Employment," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt49c4n0fg, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Michael S. Dahl & Olav Sorenson, 2012. "Home Sweet Home: Entrepreneurs' Location Choices and the Performance of Their Ventures," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 58(6), pages 1059-1071, June.
- Block, Jörn H. & Sandner, Philipp G., 2007.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data,"
Discussion Papers in Business Administration
2082, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 117-137, June.
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 191, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Poh Wong & Yuen Ho & Erkko Autio, 2005. "Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Economic Growth: Evidence from GEM data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 335-350, 01.
- Covin, Jeffrey G. & Slevin, Dennis P., 1990. "New venture strategic posture, structure, and performance: An industry life cycle analysis," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 123-135, March.
- Constance E. Helfat & Marvin B. Lieberman, 2002. "The birth of capabilities: market entry and the importance of pre-history," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 725-760, August.
- Heiko Bergmann & Rolf Sternberg, 2007. "The Changing Face of Entrepreneurship in Germany," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 205-221, March.
- Oaxaca, Ronald L. & Ransom, Michael R., 1994. "On discrimination and the decomposition of wage differentials," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 5-21, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp8219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.