Long Memory and Volatility Dynamics in the US Dollar Exchange Rate
This paper focuses on nominal exchange rates, specifically the US dollar rate vis-à-vis the Euro and the Japanese Yen at a daily frequency. We model both absolute values of returns and squared returns using long-memory techniques, being particularly interested in volatility modelling and forecasting given their importance for FOREX dealers. Compared with previous studies using a standard fractional integration framework such as Granger and Ding (1996), we estimate a more general model which allows for dependence not only at the zero but also at other frequencies. The results show differences in the behaviour of the two series: a long-memory cyclical model and a standard I(d) model seem to be the most appropriate for the US dollar rate vis-à-vis the Euro and the Japanese Yen respectively.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- I.N. Lobato & N.E. Savin, 1996.
"Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data,"
9605004, EconWPA, revised 26 Sep 1996.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Savin, N E, 1998. "Real and Spurious Long-Memory Properties of Stock-Market Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 261-68, July.
- Lobato, I.N. & Savin, N.E., 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Working Papers 96-07, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Ding, Zhuanxin, 1996. "Varieties of long memory models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 61-77, July.
- Chung, Ching-Fan, 1996. "Estimating a generalized long memory process," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 237-259, July.
- repec:esx:essedp:535 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sibbertsen, Philipp, 2001.
"Long-memory in volatilities of German stock returns,"
2001,42, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Philipp Sibbertsen, 2004. "Long memory in volatilities of German stock returns," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 477-488, 09.
- Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2006.
"Fractional integration and structural breaks at unknown periods of time,"
Faculty Working Papers
16/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2008. "Fractional integration and structural breaks at unknown periods of time," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 163-185, 01.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997.
" Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 975-1005, July.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev, 1996. "Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns," NBER Working Papers 5752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher F. Baum & John Barkoulas & Mustafa Caglayan, 1996.
"Persistence in International Inflation Rates,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
333., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 1993. "Long Memory in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-101, January.
- John Cotter, 2011.
"Uncovering Long Memory in High Frequency UK Futures,"
- John Cotter, 2005. "Uncovering long memory in high frequency UK futures," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 325-337.
- Cotter, John, 2004. "Uncovering Long Memory in High Frequency UK Futures," MPRA Paper 3525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Cotter, 2011. "Uncovering Long Memory in High Frequency UK Futures," Working Papers 200414, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Dalla, Violetta & Hidalgo, Javier, 2005. "A parametric bootstrap test for cycles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 219-261.
- Wang, Changyun, 2004. "Futures trading activity and predictable foreign exchange market movements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 1023-1041, May.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Bollerslev, Tim & Mikkelsen, Hans Ole, 1996.
"Fractionally integrated generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Baillie, Bollerslev, Mikkelson FIGARCH results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00009, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Laurent Ferrara & Dominique Guegan, 2001.
"Forecasting with k-factor Gegenbauer Processes: Theory and Applications,"
- Ferrara, Laurent & Guegan, Dominique, 2001. "Forecasting with k-Factor Gegenbauer Processes: Theory and Applications," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(8), pages 581-601, December.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morana, Claudio & Beltratti, Andrea, 2004. "Structural change and long-range dependence in volatility of exchange rates: either, neither or both?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 629-658, December.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Savin, N E, 1998. "Real and Spurious Long-Memory Properties of Stock-Market Data: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 280-83, July.
- Wen-Jen Tsay & Wolfgang Härdle, 2007. "A Generalized ARFIMA Process with Markov-Switching Fractional Differencing Parameter," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-022, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Katsumi Shimotsu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2000. "Local Whittle Estimation in Nonstationary and Unit Root Cases," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1266, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 2003.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp975. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.