On the Relationship between Public and Private Investment in the Euro Area
This paper explores the long run relationship between public and private investment in the euro area in terms of capital stocks and gross investment flows. Panel techniques accounting for international spillovers are employed. While private and public capital stocks are cointegrated, the evidence is quite fragile for public and private investment flows. They enter a long run relationship only after fundamental drivers of private investment, such as demand and financing costs are included. According to the impulse response analysis, private investment reacts to shocks in public investment both in terms of stock and flow variables. In contrast, public investment is rather exogenous. Therefore, the lack of public investment might have restricted private investment and GDP growth in the euro area. The results have strong implications for the future direction of fiscal austerity programs to combat the euro area debt crisis.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joakim Westerlund, 2007.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(6), pages 709-748, December.
- Westerlund Joakim, 2006. "Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data," Research Memorandum 056, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005. "Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data," Working Papers 2005:11, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Neil R. Ericsson & Juan J. Dolado, 1992.
"The power of cointegration tests,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
431, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Valila, Timo & Mehrotra, Aaron, 2005. "Evolution And Determinants Of Public Investment In Europe," Economic and Financial Reports 2005/1, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
- César Calderón & Enrique Moral‐Benito & Luis Servén, 2015.
"Is infrastructure capital productive? A dynamic heterogeneous approach,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(2), pages 177-198, 03.
- Calderon, Cesar & Moral-Benito, Enrique & Serven, Luis, 2011. "Is infrastructure capital productive ? a dynamic heterogeneous approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5682, The World Bank.
- César Calderón & Enrique Moral-Benito & Luis Servén, 2011. "Is infrastructure capital productive? A dynamic heterogeneous approach," Working Papers 1103, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003.
"A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007. "A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2008.
"Macroeconomic rates of return of public and private investment: crowding-in and crowding-out effects,"
Working Paper Series
0864, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2009. "Macroeconomic Rates Of Return Of Public And Private Investment: Crowding-In And Crowding-Out Effects," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 77(s1), pages 21-39, 09.
- António Afonso & Miguel St.Aubyn, 2008. "Macroeconomic Rates of Return of Public and Private Investment: Crowding-in and Crowding-out Effects," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Antonio Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, . "Macroeconomic Rates of Return of Public and Private Investment: Crowding-in and Crowding-out Effects," EcoMod2007 23900000, EcoMod.
- Marattin, Luigi & Salotti, Simone, 2011.
"On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics),
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 780-795.
- Salotti, Simone & Marattin, Luigi, 2009. "On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area," MPRA Paper 19171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Salotti, Simone & Marattin, Luigi, 2009. "On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area," MPRA Paper 19476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L. Marattin & S. Salotti, 2009. "On the usefulness of government spending in the EU area," Working Papers 686, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Isabel Argimon & Jose Gonzalez-Paramo & Jose Roldan, 1997. "Evidence of public spending crowding-out from a panel of OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1001-1010.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Damiaan Persyn & Joakim Westerlund, 2008. "Error-correction–based cointegration tests for panel data," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 232-241, June.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2012.
"Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 1-27, May.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Roberto Perotti, 2008.
"In Search of the Transmission Mechanism of Fiscal Policy,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2007, Volume 22, pages 169-226
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto Perotti, 2007. "In Search of the Transmission Mechanism of Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 13143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
88-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Sims, Christopher A & Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1990. "Inference in Linear Time Series Models with Some Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 113-44, January.
- Toshiya Hatano, 2010. "Crowding - in Effect of Public Investment on Private Investment," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 6(1), pages 105-120, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp1365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.