Export Credit Guarantees and Export Performance:An Empirical Analysis for Germany
Recent literature finds that exporters are particularly vulnerable to financial market frictions.As a consequence, exports may be lower than their efficient levels. For this reason,many countries support exporters by underwriting export credit guarantees. The empiricalevidence on the effects of those policies is, however, very limited. In this paper, we usesectoral data on export credit guarantees issued by the German government. We investigatewhether those guarantees indeed do increase exports, and whether they remedy the exportrestrictingeffect of credit market imperfections both on the sectoral and on the exportmarket levels. Exploiting the sectoral structure of a rich three-ways panel data set ofGerman exports, we control for unobserved heterogeneity on the country-year, sectoryear,and country-sector dimensions. We document a robust export-increasing effect ofguarantees. There is some evidence that the effect is larger for export markets with poorfinancial institutions and in sectors that rely more on external finance.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance, Firm Size, and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
10983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Laeven, L. & Levine, R., 2008. "Finance, firm size and growth," Other publications TiSEM 6e2b24b0-1f95-419b-96c5-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2005. "Finance, firm size, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3485, The World Bank.
- Davin Chor & Kalina Manova, 2010.
"Off the Cliff and Back? Credit Conditions and International Trade during the Global Financial Crisis,"
08-2010, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Chor, Davin & Manova, Kalina, 2012. "Off the cliff and back? Credit conditions and international trade during the global financial crisis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 117-133.
- Davin Chor & Kalina Manova, 2010. "Off the Cliff and Back? Credit Conditions and International Trade during the Global Fnancial Crisis," NBER Chapters, in: Market Institutions and Financial Market Risk National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davin Chor & Kalina Manova, 2010. "Off the Cliff and Back? Credit Conditions and International Trade during the Global Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16174, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Zhiyuan Li & Miaojie Yu, 2011.
"Exports and Credit Constraints Under Incomplete Information: Theory and Evidence from China,"
NBER Working Papers
16940, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Zhiyuan Li & Miaojie Yu, 2014. "Exports and Credit Constraints under Incomplete Information: Theory and Evidence from China," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 96(3), pages 729-744, October.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Sam & Neiman, Brent & Romalis, John, 2013.
"Trade and the Global Recession,"
2013-21, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2011. "Trade and the Global Recession," NBER Working Papers 16666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel S. Kortum & Jonathan Eaton & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_002, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Jonathan Eaton & Sam Kortum & Brent Neiman & John Romalis, 2010. "Trade and the global recession," Working Paper Research 196, National Bank of Belgium.
- Sam Kortum & John Romalis & Brent Neiman & Jonathan Eaton, 2010. "Trade and the Global Recession," 2010 Meeting Papers 1340, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Philippe Askenazy & Aida Caldera & Guillaume Gaulier & Delphine Irac, 2015.
"Financial constraints and foreign market entries or exits: firm-level evidence from France,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 151(2), pages 231-253, May.
- Askenazy, Ph. & Caldera, A. & Gaulier, G. & Irac, D., 2011. "Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm-Level Evidence from France," Working papers 328, Banque de France.
- Askenazy, Philippe & Caldera, Aida & Gaulier, Guillaume & Irac, Delphine, 2011. "Financial Constraints and Foreign Market Entries or Exits: Firm Level Evidence from France," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1112, CEPREMAP.
- Nestmann, Thorsten & Moser, Christoph & Wedow, Michael, 2006.
"Political risk and export promotion: Evidence from Germany,"
23, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Christoph Moser & Thorsten Nestmann & Michael Wedow, 2008. "Political Risk and Export Promotion: Evidence from Germany," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 781-803, 06.
- Moser, Christoph & Nestmann, Thorsten & Wedow, Michael, 2006. "Political risk and export promotion: evidence from Germany," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,36, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Peter Egger & Thomas Url, 2006. "Public Export Credit Guarantees and Foreign Trade Structure: Evidence from Austria," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 399-418, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ifowps:_116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.