Export Restrictions And Multiple Spatial Price Equilibria When International Prices Spike: Export Quotas For Wheat In Ukraine
Only few models exist which allow for a regime-dependent spatial price equilibrium. This paper focuses on the price insulating effects of export restrictions. The theory of a Walrasian equilibrium and the spatial price equilibrium theory suggest that export restrictions lead to multiple spatial equilibria between the domestic and the world market price. Our analysis is unique in testing for linear versus non-linear cointegration within a smooth transition cointegration model. The application to the wheat export quota in Ukraine shows that the domestic wheat price was stabilized about 30% below the international wheat price during the two recent price booms. We trace back the increased speed of adjustment in the closed trade regime to increased price information flows and heightened information attention when prices are volatile and high. From a global point of view, the domestic wheat price in Ukraine would have increased to the same degree, if no country had engaged in price insulating behaviour 2006-2008 worldwide.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://iatrcweb.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Will Martin & Kym Anderson, 2012.
"Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 422-427.
- Anderson, Kym & Martin, Will, 2011. "Export Restrictions and Price Insulation During Commodity Price Booms," CEPR Discussion Papers 8494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin, Will & Anderson, Kym, 2011. "Export restrictions and price insulation during commodity price booms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5645, The World Bank.
- Fackler, Paul L. & Goodwin, Barry K., 2001. "Spatial price analysis," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 971-1024 Elsevier.
- Gonzalo, J. & Pitarakis, J., 2005.
"Threshold effects in cointegrating relationships,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
0506, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen, 2000.
"Structural Changes in the Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model,"
2000-20, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Peter Reinhard, 2003. "Structural changes in the cointegrated vector autoregressive model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 261-295, June.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tom Doan, . "SWDOLS: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using dynamic OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00207, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2010.
"Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2012. "Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 36-48.
- Kym Anderson & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Trade Barrier Volatility and Agricultural Price Stabilization," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2010-16, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Choi, In, 2004. "Cointegrating Smooth Transition Regressions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 301-340, April.
- Seo, Myunghwan, 2006. "Bootstrap testing for the null of no cointegration in a threshold vector error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 129-150, September.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Goychuk, Kateryna & Meyers, William H., 2011. "Black Sea Wheat Market Integration with the International Wheat Markets: Some Evidence from Co-integration Analysis," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103894, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Emma C. Stephens & Edward Mabaya & Stephan von Cramon-Taubadel & Christopher B. Barrett, 2012. "Spatial Price Adjustment with and without Trade," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(3), pages 453-469, 06.
- Islam Hassouneh & Teresa Serra & José M. Gil, 2010. "Price transmission in the Spanish bovine sector: the BSE effect," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(1), pages 33-42, 01.
- Teresa Serra & José M. Gil & Barry K. Goodwin, 2006. "Local polynomial fitting and spatial price relationships: price transmission in EU pork markets," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 415-436, September.
- Dabin Wang & William G. Tomek, 2007. "Commodity Prices and Unit Root Tests," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(4), pages 873-889.
- Kym Anderson & Signe Nelgen, 2012.
"Agricultural trade distortions during the global financial crisis,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 28(2), pages 235-260, SUMMER.
- Anderson, Kym & Nelgen, Signe, 2012. "Agricultural trade distortions during the global financial crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 9086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kym Anderson, 2012. "Agricultural Trade Distortions During the Global Financial Crisis," Departmental Working Papers 2012-05, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2006. "Testing For Cointegration In Nonlinear Smooth Transition Error Correction Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 279-303, April.
- Robert J. Myers & T.S. Jayne, 2012. "Multiple-Regime Spatial Price Transmission with an Application to Maize Markets in Southern Africa," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(1), pages 174-188.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2011.
"Disentangling nonlinearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: an application to the US hog/pork supply chain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(12), pages 1497-1510.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2007. "Disentangling non-linearities in the long- and short-run price relationships: An application to the U.S. hog/Pork supply chain," MPRA Paper 7743, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jan 2008.
- In Choi & Pentti Saikkonen, 2004. "Testing linearity in cointegrating smooth transition regressions," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 341-365, December.
- Ghoshray, Atanu, 2010. "Smooth transition effects in price transmission: The case of international wheat export prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 169-171, March.
- Ghoshray, Atanu, 2011. "Underlying Trends and International Price Transmission of Agricultural Commodities," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 257, Asian Development Bank.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Choi, In & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2010. "Tests For Nonlinear Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 682-709, June.
- Liefert, William M. & Liefert, Olga & Vocke, Gary & Allen, Edward W., 2010. "Former Soviet Union Region To Play Larger Role in Meeting World Wheat Needs," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, June.
- Philip C. Abbott, 2012. "Export Restrictions as Stabilization Responses to Food Crisis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 428-434.
- Jaya Krishnakumar & David Neto, 2009. "Estimation and Testing for the Cointegration Rank in a Threshold Cointegrated System," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2009.01, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iat12m:143179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.