Macroeconomic and Monetary Policies from the Eductive Viewpoint
In: Monetary Policy under Uncertainty and Learning
The "eductive" viewpoint provides a theoretically sophisticated analysis as well as an intuitively plausible shortcut to the study of expectational coordination in economic models. From the review of expectational criteria in a class of dynamical models of macroeconomic theory, the paper shows how such an "eductive" viewpoint completes and deepens rather than contradicts standard analysis. It however argues that the "eductive" approach, when correctly implemented, challenges the conditions of learning in infinite-horizon models with infinitely-lived agents. In particular, in a simple monetary model adopting such a framework, Taylor rules may be stabilizing, in the demanding sense under scrutiny, but only within a small window for the reaction coefficient.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|This chapter was published in: Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Carl E. Walsh & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.) Monetary Policy under Uncertainty and Learning, , chapter 6, pages 171-202, 2009.|
|This item is provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series with number v13c06pp171-202.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Desgranges & Maik Heinemann, 2004.
"Strongly rational expectations equilibria with endogenous acquisition of information,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
35, Society for Computational Economics.
- Gabriel Desgranges & Maik Heinemann, 2005. "Strongly rational expectations equilibria with endogenous acquisition of information," Working Paper Series in Economics 9, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Gabriel Desgranges & Pierre-Yves Geoffard & Roger Guesnerie, 2003. "Do Prices Transmit Rationally Expected Information?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 124-153, March.
- John B. Taylor, 1999. "Introduction to "Monetary Policy Rules"," NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 1-14 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roger Guesnerie & Pedro Jara-Moroni, 2007. "Expectational coordination in a class of economic models: Strategic substitutabilities versus strategic complementarities," PSE Working Papers halshs-00587837, HAL.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
- Desgranges, Gabriel & Gauthier, St phane, 2003.
"Uniqueness Of Bubble-Free Solution In Linear Rational Expectations Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 171-191, April.
- G. Desgranges & Stéphane Gauthier, 2003. "Uniqueness of bubble-free solution in linear rational expectations models," Post-Print halshs-00069498, HAL.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- John B. Taylor, 1999. "A Historical Analysis of Monetary Policy Rules," NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 319-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John B. Taylor, 1999. "Monetary Policy Rules," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number tayl99-1, December.
- Gauthier, Stephane, 2002.
"Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 354-374, February.
- Gauthier, S., 1999. "Determinacy and Stability Under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a46, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Stéphane Gauthier, 2002. "Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," Post-Print hal-00731065, HAL.
- Gauthier, S., 1999. "Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," DELTA Working Papers 1999-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Gabriel Desgranges, 2000. "CK-Equilibria and Informational Efficiency in a Competitive Economy," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1296, Econometric Society.
- Stephen J. DeCanio, 1979. "Rational Expectations and Learning from Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(1), pages 47-57.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchsb:v13c06pp171-202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.