Macroeconomic And Monetary Policies From The Eductive Viewpoint
The quality of the coordination of expectations, a key issue for monetary policy, obtains from different, but interrelated, channels: both the credibility of the central bank intervention and the ability of decentralized agents to coordinate on a dynamical equilibrium matter. For both purposes, it is important to understand how agents learn. Indeed, many studies on monetary policy focus on learning processes involving evolutive, real-time learning rules (such as adaptive learning rules). The eductive viewpoint, as illustrated in previous works, partly abstracts from the real-time dimension of learning, with the aim of more directly capturing the systems’ coordination-friendly characteristics. The paper first presents the analytical philosophy of expectational coordination underlying the eductive viewpoint. Following the review, the paper explores the differences between the traditional viewpoint and this competing viewpoint as they relate to standard monetary policy analysis. This exploration is tentative, yet promising.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Desgranges & Maik Heinemann, 2004.
"Strongly rational expectations equilibria with endogenous acquisition of information,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2004
35, Society for Computational Economics.
- Gabriel Desgranges & Maik Heinemann, 2005. "Strongly rational expectations equilibria with endogenous acquisition of information," Working Paper Series in Economics 9, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Gabriel Desgranges & Pierre-Yves Geoffard & Roger Guesnerie, 2003. "Do Prices Transmit Rationally Expected Information?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 124-153, 03.
- John B. Taylor, 1999. "Introduction to "Monetary Policy Rules"," NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 1-14 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roger Guesnerie & Pedro Jara-Moroni, 2007. "Expectational coordination in a class of economic models: Strategic substitutabilities versus strategic complementarities," PSE Working Papers halshs-00587837, HAL.
- John B. Taylor, 1999. "A Historical Analysis of Monetary Policy Rules," NBER Chapters,in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 319-348 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John B. Taylor, 1998. "An Historical Analysis of Monetary Policy Rules," NBER Working Papers 6768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gauthier, Stephane, 2002. "Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 354-374, February.
- Gauthier, S., 1999. "Determinacy and Stability Under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a46, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Stéphane Gauthier, 2002. "Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," Post-Print hal-00731065, HAL.
- Gauthier, S., 1999. "Determinacy and Stability under Learning of Rational Expectations Equilibria," DELTA Working Papers 1999-22, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Desgranges, Gabriel & Gauthier, St phane, 2003. "Uniqueness Of Bubble-Free Solution In Linear Rational Expectations Models," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 171-191, April.
- G. Desgranges & Stéphane Gauthier, 2003. "Uniqueness of bubble-free solution in linear rational expectations models," Post-Print halshs-00069498, HAL.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
- Reichlin, Pietro, 1986. "Equilibrium cycles in an overlapping generations economy with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-102, October.
- John B. Taylor, 1999. "Monetary Policy Rules," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number tayl99-1, October.
- Gabriel Desgranges, 2000. "CK-Equilibria and Informational Efficiency in a Competitive Economy," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1296, Econometric Society.
- Stephen J. DeCanio, 1979. "Rational Expectations and Learning from Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(1), pages 47-57. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:498. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.