Consumer willingness to pay for locally grown products: the case of South Carolina
A contingent valuation framework is used to evaluate South Carolina consumers' willingness to pay for the “locally grown” characteristic (defined here as South Carolina grown) in produce and animal products and to identify the sociodemographic characteristics affecting consumer preferences for this characteristic. Findings show that South Carolina consumers are willing to pay an average premium of 27% for local produce and 23% for local animal products. Premiums for local products are influenced by age, gender, and income as well as by perceived product quality, a desire to support the local economy, patronage of farmers markets, and consumer ties to agriculture. [JEL Categories: D12, Q13]. Â© 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riccardo Scarpa & George Philippidis & Fiorenza Spalatro, 2005. "Product-country images and preference heterogeneity for Mediterranean food products: A discrete choice framework," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 329-349.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2002.
"Effects Of Cheap Talk On Consumer Willingness-To-Pay For Golden Rice,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19597, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jayson L. Lusk, 2003. "Effects of Cheap Talk on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Golden Rice," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 840-856.
- Kaneko, Naoya & Chern, Wen S., 2005. "Willingness to Pay for Genetically Modified Oil, Cornflakes, and Salmon: Evidence from a U.S. Telephone Survey," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(03), December.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Hine, Susan E., 2002. "Discovering Niche Markets: A Comparison Of Consumer Willingness To Pay For Local (Colorado Grown), Organic, And Gmo-Free Products," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Darren Hudson, 2004. "Willingness-to-Pay Estimates and Their Relevance to Agribusiness Decision Making," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 152-169.
- Hughes, David W. & Brown, Cheryl & Miller, Stacy & McConnell, Tom, 2008. "Evaluating the Economic Impact of Farmersâ€™ Markets Using an Opportunity Cost Framework," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Giraud, Kelly L. & Bond, Craig A. & Bond, Jennifer Keeling, 2005. "Consumer Preferences for Locally Made Specialty Food Products Across Northern New England," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(2), October.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1995. "Determinants Of U.S. Household Expenditures On Fruit And Vegetables: A Note And Update," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Kim Darby & Marvin T. Batte & Stan Ernst & Brian Roe, 2008. "Decomposing Local: A Conjoint Analysis of Locally Produced Foods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(2), pages 476-486.
- Paul M. Patterson & Hans Olofsson & Timothy J. Richards & Sharon Sass, 1999. "An empirical analysis of state agricultural product promotions: A case study on Arizona Grown," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 179-196.
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:34:y:2002:i:3:p:477-487 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jekanowski, Mark D. & Williams, Daniel R., II & Schiek, William A., 2000. "Consumers' Willingness To Purchase Locally Produced Agricultural Products: An Analysis Of An Indiana Survey," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(1), April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521788304 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:3:p:412-426. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.