Efficient Estimation Methods for "Closed-ended' Contingent Valuation Surveys
"Closed-ended contingent valuation" surveys can be very useful in the evaluation of nonmarket resources. Respondents merely state whether they would accept or reject a hypothetical threshold amount, either as payment for giving up access to the resource or as a fee for its use. The authors develop a maximum likelihood procedure which exploits the variation in the threshold values to allow direct and separate point estimates of regression-like slope coefficients and error standard deviations (without truncation bias). Their illustration uses data from a survey of recreational fisherman to examine factors which influence individuals' willingness-to-pay. Copyright 1987 by MIT Press.
Volume (Year): 69 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard C. Bishop & Thomas A. Heberlein, 1979. "Measuring Values of Extramarket Goods: Are Indirect Measures Biased?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 61(5), pages 926-930.
- Burt, Oscar R & Brewer, Durward, 1971. "Estimation of Net Social Benefits from Outdoor Recreation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 813-27, September.
- Lerman, Steven R. & Kern, Clifford R., 1983. "Hedonic theory, bid rents, and willingness-to-pay: Some extensions of Ellickson's results," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 358-363, May.
- Kevin J. Boyle & Richard C. Bishop & Michael P. Welsh, 1985. "Starting Point Bias in Contingent Valuation Bidding Games," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(2), pages 188-194.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & Michelle D. James, 1986. "The Determinants of Value for a Recreational Fishing Day: Estimates from a Contingent Valuation Survey," UCLA Economics Working Papers 405, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cicchetti, Charles J & Fisher, Anthony C & Smith, V Kerry, 1976. "An Econometric Evaluation of a Generalized Consumer Surplus Measure: The Mineral King Controversy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(6), pages 1259-76, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:69:y:1987:i:2:p:269-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.