The implications of TARGET2 in the European balance of payments crisis and beyond
The paper provides an account of the meaning and implications of TARGET2 in the eurozone (EZ) balance of payments crisis. In this context, it discusses Hans-Werner Sinn's thesis about a stealth bail-out of the EZ periphery by the ECB from a heterodox perspective. Financial liberalisation, a relatively loose monetary policy and the provisional fading of devaluation risks generated ephemeral growth in some peripheral EZ countries sustained by capital flows from core countries. This has been followed by real exchange rate revaluation and deterioration of foreign accounts. As a result, external financing flows dried up and the previous stock of loans began to be repatriated. TARGET2 has played a fundamental role in avoiding a precipitous crisis. This distinguishes the European crisis from more traditional balance of payments crises. However, the presence of TARGET2 does not offset the absence of the financial crisis prevention and resolution mechanisms that are characteristic of fully fledged political and currency unions.
Volume (Year): 10 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elgaronline.com/ejeep|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raphael A. Auer, 2013.
"What Drives Target2 Balances? Evidence From a Panel Analysis,"
13.03, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Raphael A. Auer, 2014. "What drives TARGET2 balances? Evidence from a panel analysis," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 29(77), pages 139-197, 01.
- Raphael A. Auer, 2013. "What Drives Target2 Balances? Evidence from a Panel Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 4216, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raphael Anton Auer, 2012. "What Drives Target2 Balances? Evidence From a Panel Analysis," Working Papers 2012-15, Swiss National Bank.
- Reinhart, Carmen M., 2012.
"A Series of Unfortunate Events: Common Sequencing Patterns in Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2011. "A Series of Unfortunate Events: Common Sequencing Patterns in Financial Crises," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 4, pages 11-36, October-D.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2011. "A Series of Unfortunate Events: Common Sequencing Patterns in Financial Crises," 'Angelo Costa' Lectures Serie, SIPI Spa, issue Lect. XII.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2012. "A Series of Unfortunate Events: Common Sequencing Patterns in Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 17941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Fahrholz & Andreas Freytag, 2012. "Will TARGET2-Balances be Reduced again after an End of the Crisis?," Global Financial Markets Working Paper Series 30-2012, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2007. "Are PAYG and FF Pension Schemes Equivalent Systems? Macroeconomic Considerations in the Light of Alternative Economic Theories," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 449-473.
- Michael D. Bordo & Harold James, 2013. "The European Crisis in the Context of the History of Previous Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 19112, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter M. Garber, 1998. "Notes on the Role of TARGET in a Stage III Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2010. "Europe, German Mercantilism and the Current Crisis," Department of Economics University of Siena 595, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2012.
"The endless eurozone crisis, where do we stand? a classical-kaleckian overview,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2012(107), pages 35-63.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2013. "The endless Eurozone crisis, where do we stand? A Classical-Kaleckian overview," Department of Economics University of Siena 671, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Martina Cecioni & Giuseppe Ferrero, 2012. "Determinants of TARGET2 imbalances," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 136, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Sergio Cesaratto, 2012. "Controversial and novel features of the Eurozone crisis as a balance of payment crisis," Department of Economics University of Siena 640, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Neri Salvadori, 2004. "Economic growth and distribution: on the nature and causes of the wealth of nations," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 28(18), pages A0.
- Paul Dalziel, 1996. "The Keynesian Multiplier, Liquidity Preference, and Endogenous Money," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 18(3), pages 311-331, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:elg:ejeepi:v:10:y:2013:i:3:p359-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Craven)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.